A Post seal retainers.

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#1 A Post seal retainers.

Post by rswaffie » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:40 pm

Hi chaps,
Can someone point me in the right direction regarding the fixing of the A Post seal retainers?
I’ve got these as a kit from SNGB but need to confirm how they go on.
My 3.8 FHC seems to already have a ‘channel’ along the horizontal flange, but not down the vertical flange and I can see evidence of rivets that held a retainer along this edge. The supplied items suggest they should go around the entire A-post flange, bending in to the curve as well by the looks of it. However, it won’t seat in the top flange as it is a smidge too wide. There is also no evidence of rivets in the existing top flange. Should the whole retainer be fitted (meaning some bending out of the top horizontal flange so it will seat) or do I just use half of it for the lower vertical flange?
TIA

Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jeremy
Great Britain

#2 Re: A Post seal retainers.

Post by Jeremy » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:37 pm

Richard
Those seal retainers in your photos are for the UPPER section of the A post (waist level upwards) and along under the roof gutter to the B post. This seal retainer was fitted to earlier FHC cars although Jag had stopped using it by the time mine was built (1967).
The seal retainer for the lower A post is completely different, short and curved like a banana. It secures the seal at the front edge of the door only. It meets and blends with the "top flange" you refer to - that flange IS the seal retainer for that horizontal stretch.
I'd give you a part number for the banana piece but I'm out of the country just now. It should be in the parts book. Here are a couple of pics showing mine - the banana piece riveted and clamped into position, and with the seal in place:

Jeremy
1967 S1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#3 Re: A Post seal retainers.

Post by rswaffie » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:57 pm

Thanks Jeremy,
So much for this being a complete kit then! It looks like it includes the quarter light surround channels and as you say, the the upper channels but not the lower ones. I’ll get on to SNGB to see if they’ve go them. I did ask when I ordered this kit if there were any others and they said no!
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#4 Re: A Post seal retainers.

Post by rswaffie » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:43 pm

Well, I spoke to SNG and they confirmed that their retainer ‘kit’ did not include the lower ‘A-Post’ retainers. They are listed separately. So I ordered the two parts and they arrived today so I riveted them on ready to be bent at the top to follow the track of the horizontal channel. I’ll give them a coat of OGS once I’m happy with the final position.

I suggested to SNG that they update the website listing for the ‘kit’ to state the the other two parts are also required. I can’t see a reason to list them separately from the rest of the retainers, other than that they are a different design (‘L’ profile rather than a ‘C’).
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic