New headlining and fitting problems

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
paulsco
Great Britain

#1 New headlining and fitting problems

Post by paulsco » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:46 am

Hi,

I have just received my replacement headliner from Aldridge Trimming and was disappointed to find that it does not have the foam backing attached, it is simply the cloth covering.

From earlier searches, I had naively concluded that all E-Type headlinings would be supplied with a backing.

I have looked at the Aldridge web site and there is what appears to be the felt backing JE42F1/HLP; can anyone confirm if this is the foam I need?

I am now rather concerned with how I am going to fit this; I am assuming that I will need to glue the headliner to the backing and then to the car.

Is this correct, or should I glue the foam to the car first?

I was going to use high temperature contact adhesive to fit ‘the pad’, but I don’t think I can do that with the headlining material, I expect it would soak through, so I think I will need some spray contact adhesive.

Can anyone recommend a good one?

Any other comments or tips on fitting would be much appreciated,

Paul
65 Series 1 FHC, 68 Jaguar 340

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PhilBell
Great Britain

#2 Re: New headlining and fitting problems

Post by PhilBell » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:40 pm

Hi Paul

I had to refit my existing headlining when it came unstuck one year on the way to a particularly hot Le Mans while driving at unpostable speeds with the windows down. Fortunately the foam remained stuck to the roof.

After cleaning the old glue off both with white spirit I sprayed them with high temp contact adhesive from Wayside Adhesives in Nottingham (very knowledgable) and after letting it dry a little applied headliner to foam. Several hot Le Mans trips and many other sweltering journeys later it's still stuck perfectly.

Be sure to leave an unglued border where the headlining will tuck behind the cant rails. Tuck the front edge of the headliner in and tape a length of bamboo along the back edge and get an assistant to hold it under light tension while you use a new wallpaper brush to work backwards and outwards from the front cant rail.

Surprisingly easy.
Phil
1962 FHC 885626

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#3 Re: New headlining and fitting problems

Post by rswaffie » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:20 pm

I’ve got a complete trim kit for my 63 fhc from Aldridge and the headlining comes in two parts; the foam and the wool headlining itself.
I’m considering getting them to do the headlining and cantrails and I’ll have a crack at the rest.
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
paulsco
Great Britain

#4 Re: New headlining and fitting problems

Post by paulsco » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:53 am

Thank you Phil and Richard for your help.

I have emailed Aldridge and they confirm that I will need the foam backing JE42F1/HLP.

Why it is not included in the headlining 'kit' I don't know; I can't see anybody wanting to fit a headliner without one and the chances of being abler to use your original is nil I would have thought:-(

They also informed me that I should stick the foam to the car first and the headlining to it and not stick the two together first.
I note from other posts that it would also be easier to fit the headliner bit that had the rubber beading in it first and then mask this before fitting the headliner as it is near on impossible to get the beading in afterwards.

Paul
65 Series 1 FHC, 68 Jaguar 340

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#5 Re: New headlining and fitting problems

Post by angelw » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:09 pm

Hello Paul,
Without a doubt, the best material for the headlining is supplied by BAS. Its my understanding that the material is exclusive to BAS. John Skinner also supplies it, but sources it from BAS. The backing is approximately 5mm thick, is rather dense with a texture similar to Tofu, but firm to touch and very flexible. The fabric comes attached to the backing.

Its a great product to use, with practically zero chance of adhesive bleeding though due to excessive hand pressure during installation.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#6 Re: New headlining and fitting problems

Post by Series1 Stu » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:23 pm

:yeahthat:

+1 for BAS

They supplied my trim kit including headlining. Sponge backing was already on and it went onto the roof without any great troubles.

Cantrail trimming is another thing altogether though...

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Polse7317
France

#7 Re: New headlining and fitting problems

Post by Polse7317 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:49 pm

Headlining (HL) by BAS is +- easy to fit. I began with gluing the middle on a 30 cm width line, with a line mark on the roof , holding the HL with two plastic tubes so i could be under and press slowly on each side with a neoprene glue . TEMP above 18C° is recommanded. After you can glue until 10 cm near the edges . And after it's more easy to glue only the edges and slide the HL :

Yves, happy XKE 63 fhc , w113 280sl owner
Looking for a OTS 4.2 serie 1....! :scratchheadyellow: and now have found a fhc xk 140 :lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic