Valve clearance not set by the shim

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
johnetype
Great Britain

#1 Valve clearance not set by the shim

Post by johnetype » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:25 pm

My no. 4 inlet valve clearance was 8 thou with a "R" valve pad/shim (0.102) in it so I changed it to "U" and still the clearance was 8 thou. I changed it again to "Y" and it's still 8 thou.

Clearly the valve shim isn't setting the 8 thou clearance so what is and any suggestions on what my problem could be?

The remaining 11 valves all were a few thou below spec but have all adjusted up fine. Before checking the clearances the engine was running fine except for a tappet noise coming from around the centre of the engine, ie could be no. 4 inlet.
The tappet guide appears to be firmly in place and there's no obvious sign of what's wrong.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Valve clearance not set by the shim

Post by mgcjag » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:34 pm

Hi John....what gaps are you working to 4 & 6 or 12 to 14 If your at 8tho and increasing shim size you will reduce gap....if its for your 69fhc you should be 12 to 14 Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
johnetype
Great Britain

#3 Re: Valve clearance not set by the shim

Post by johnetype » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:39 pm

I'm working to 4 and 6thou. I have two hole camshafts, no grove and oil holes on the back of the lobes. My engine was made just before the change.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: Valve clearance not set by the shim

Post by mgcjag » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:44 pm

Have a look to see if the shim is sitting proud of the retainer.....sounds like the cam follower is sitting on the retainer and not the shim.......does your data plate say 4/6 .. Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
johnetype
Great Britain

#5 Re: Valve clearance not set by the shim

Post by johnetype » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:48 pm

The shim is sitting proud of the retainer. Even with an "A" sized shim the shim surface is still 20 to 30 thou above the retainer.
You can also move the shim on the top of the valve to check it isn't fouling the retainer and is truly on top of the valve stem.
Compared to the adjacent valve, valve length and position appear to be the similar. As best as I can tell looking down the side, the valve springs on the two valves look the same. (no broken or misplaced bits)
Comparing cam followers shows no obvious differences.

So, I am still looking for any suggestions as to what I've missed; I'm on first name terms with my inlet camshaft bearing caps but it hasn't helped.

Steve, this isn't a what the clearance settings should be issue. All the signs tell me I have an engine with 4/6 clearances but even if I didn't and it should be 12/14 I've tried shims with a greater range then that and still always get around 8.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#6 Re: Valve clearance not set by the shim

Post by mgcjag » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:19 pm

Hi John....this does sound very strange.....so engine was working fine with a bit of tappet noise...just an out of the box thought if your useing digital guage to measure shims is it reading correct..iv had one read wrong when battery was low...does the inside of the cam follower look correct so that it sits on the shim and not the retainer... one other thought your not overtightening the bearing caps.... Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JagWaugh
Switzerland

#7 Re: Valve clearance not set by the shim

Post by JagWaugh » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:53 am

Is the seat area of the tappet the same thickness as the others?

If the valve hasn't been topped and the tappet is the same thickness, then it could be:

Something trapped between the valve seat and the valve.
Valve seat dropped.
Broken spring(s).
Bent Valve.
Tight valve guide (debris?).

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

kingzetts
Great Britain

#8 Re: Valve clearance not set by the shim

Post by kingzetts » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:15 pm

When I had some mysterious issues with one inlet valve, I found a methodical approach ofswapping out one component at a time between the problem valve and one which was not giving the problem (in my case I swapped parts from problem #1 valve and good #2 valve) allowed me to narrow down the issue. I’d try exchanging the following one at a time, replacing each one after each check, and see which one(s) move the problem to the other valve;

Cam follower
Spring retainer
Collets
Valve

Mine turned out to be an issue with the retainer which allowed the tappet to hit the retainer before the shim, which meant the collets got loose and then slammed back in place with each cam rotation making a heck of a top end clatter.
John '62 S1 OTS (now sold)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#9 Re: Valve clearance not set by the shim

Post by PeterCrespin » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:30 am

johnetype wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:48 pm
I've tried shims with a greater range then that and still always get around 8.
OK. This is so bizarre that it cannot be true. By which I mean not what it appears, rather than an untrue description. There is no way a gap measured between any two fixed objects ( cam heel and valve stem) can stay fixed when a variable filler piece (shim) is inserted to take up part of the space.

What, exactly, do you use/do to measure the gap?
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
johnetype
Great Britain

#10 Re: Valve clearance not set by the shim

Post by johnetype » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:34 am

Peter, I use a set of feeler blades to measure the gap between the heel of the cam and the tappet with the camshaft rotated so the lobe is pointing away from the valve stem. I believe I'm using the correct measuring technique because I've used it on my Twincam engine and my other 11 valves give reliable readings that match up when you change from one shim of a known thickness to another.

It is clearly bizarre and as you suggest, difficult to envisage in what is a relatively simple mechanical situation.

I fitted the "Y" shim and a new tappet and ran the car for 100 miles. Whilst the tappet noise was improved the engine had a misfire at idle and no compression pressure in no. 4 at idle. At the end of the 100 miles, the clearance now measured 2 thou.

I have reverted to an "R" shim, this gives a clearance of 8 thou. Engine now does not misfire at idle.

I plan to run the engine like this for a while. As the no.4 inlet runner is almost straight I'll see if my endoscope USB camera can get far enough down to see the valve.

Noting that if the XK engine is positioned with no. 1 cylinder at TDC, no. 4 inlet valve is open fully. My engine has stood unused for nearly 30 years and I suspect some corrosion issue between valve stem/guide and seat is responsible for the bizarre clearance issue which I will only fully resolve by removing the cylinder head and removing the valve to check.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#11 Re: Valve clearance not set by the shim

Post by mgcjag » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:05 pm

Hi John...i did ask before but are you actually measureing the shims prior to fitting them...or just assuming they are the correct size becaus they have an R or a Y stamped on them..... Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
johnetype
Great Britain

#12 Re: Valve clearance not set by the shim

Post by johnetype » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:05 am

Steve, I measure them with a Moore and Wright (made in Sheffield) micrometer, the new ones and the old. The measurements of the new have corresponded to the micrometer readings. I haven't looked for the markings on the old ones, just gone by what they actually measure.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#13 Re: Valve clearance not set by the shim

Post by abowie » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:43 pm

johnetype wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:34 am
. Whilst the tappet noise was improved the engine had a misfire at idle and no compression pressure in no. 4 at idle. At the end of the 100 miles, the clearance now measured 2 thou.
Are you sure the valve spring isn't broken?
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
johnetype
Great Britain

#14 Re: Valve clearance not set by the shim

Post by johnetype » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:59 pm

No I am not sure the valve spring isn't broken. It looks alright and similar to the other springs if you observe it without the tappet in place but the view is very restricted. I could try the rope trick to allow me to remove the retainer, collets and spring but I'm not confident I'd be able to get the valve retainer and collets back on under those circumstances so would have to pull the head anyway.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#15 Re: Valve clearance not set by the shim

Post by abowie » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:56 pm

johnetype wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:59 pm
No I am not sure the valve spring isn't broken. It looks alright and similar to the other springs if you observe it without the tappet in place but the view is very restricted. I could try the rope trick to allow me to remove the retainer, collets and spring but I'm not confident I'd be able to get the valve retainer and collets back on under those circumstances so would have to pull the head anyway.
Yes. I've been thinking about this for a while. The only way I can see that you got the measurements you did is if the valve stem is moving down when you push the feeler gauge in. With a broken spring and less tension you might be fooled. It would be interesting to see what happens if you try to get a much thicker feeler gauge in.

While I am aware that you can get the collets off with the head in situ I've never done it myself. It would be worth it though IMO.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Polse7317
France

#16 Re: Valve clearance not set by the shim

Post by Polse7317 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:29 pm

Sorry about that but what does "IMO" mean? I have a poor english ... I know! But i can follow the thread 💥👀🙂
Yves, happy XKE 63 fhc , w113 280sl owner
Looking for a OTS 4.2 serie 1....! :scratchheadyellow: and now have found a fhc xk 140 :lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#17 Re: Valve clearance not set by the shim

Post by mgcjag » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:10 pm

Hi Yves...IMO....in my opinion. ..Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#18 Re: Valve clearance not set by the shim

Post by Heuer » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:23 pm

And IMHO is 'in my humble opinion". Please feel free to ask for an explanation for anything you do not understand - we are here to help.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Polse7317
France

#19 Re: Valve clearance not set by the shim

Post by Polse7317 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:23 pm

Thank’s David ,i’ll Write that in my English book ......ASAP! :yeahthat:
Yves, happy XKE 63 fhc , w113 280sl owner
Looking for a OTS 4.2 serie 1....! :scratchheadyellow: and now have found a fhc xk 140 :lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic