remote power disconnection

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
davef
Great Britain

#1 remote power disconnection

Post by davef » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:42 pm

Has anyone used one of these, it appears to be able to shut down the battery power remotely.

Car Auto Remote Control Battery Switch Disconnect Anti-theft Power Master Kill

Seen on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/172765788152?_ ... noapp=true

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#2 Re: remote power disconnection

Post by cactusman » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:33 pm

No but I would not trust it. The standard isolators with a brass screw and fused bypass are simple, cheap and there is zero to go wrong :bigrin: and judging from the size of the terminals and circuit I wonder if it is intended to power the car electrics but NOT the current for the starter motor anyway.
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnetype
Great Britain

#3 Re: remote power disconnection

Post by johnetype » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:34 am

I considered it but in the end did something different.

Clearly you wouldn't want to run the starter motor current through it but we are lucky that the E type's construction really helps here. The brass stud mounted on the voltage regulator bracket has the battery feed, the alternator feed, the starter motor feed and the supply into the car's wiring loom (ignition switch and fuses) all coming to it. This gives the opportunity to remove the ignition switch and fuses wires and put an isolating switch in the circuit at this point.

There's a range of isolator options. A mechanical isolating switch, the device you've listed, a re-settable circuit breaker. All give some protection against the car being started, a wiring loom fire etc. depending on what you do and how you do it but at this point a 100 amp isolator is more than adequate and therefore likely to be reliable.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic