Fitting radius arms - an easy trick

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Tom W
Great Britain

#1 Fitting radius arms - an easy trick

Post by Tom W » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:06 am

I refitted the irs to my car yesterday, and thought you might be interested in my method for lining up the forward radius arm bushes.

I was working single handed lay in a single garage. The problem is, with the suspension at full droop, the radius arm is too short to reach over the post on the car. The cage needs to be pulled forward to allow the bush to line up. The solution... One large ratchet strap, hooked between the front wishbone and the rear hub. A couple of clicks on the ratchet, and everything lined up. The radius arm can then be lifted up with a trolley jack and the bolt refitted. In my case, getting one side on was sufficient to allow the other side to line up without the ratchet strap.

Tom
1970 S2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Fitting radius arms - an easy trick

Post by mgcjag » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:44 am

Also easy to do if you drop car onto its rear wheels, they are then almost there...if not chock wear wheels and rock car forward/backward till they pop on... Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnetype
Great Britain

#3 Re: Fitting radius arms - an easy trick

Post by johnetype » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:17 am

....and easier still is to relocate your IRS support jack a few inches forward to the very front of the tie plate.

It's now off centre and as you jack it back up the radius arms will move forward so you can pop them on.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic