FM/DAB radio reception

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
JerryL770
Great Britain

#1 FM/DAB radio reception

Post by JerryL770 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:05 am

I was tempted to add this to the end of Simon's (288gto) DAB Aerial thread but thought I might be doing a hijack!

I've been having problems with my Classic 200 FM/DAB/DAB+ radio from Classiccarstereo (Autosound) in my S2 FHC.

I have an electric retractable aerial in the rear wing and got good FM reception with just that fitted, but no DAB.

We fitted a DAB adaptor between the aerial and radio and this got me DAB channels but messed up the FM. At least it got me DAB at home but as soon as I drove out, the signals were lost and I got severe interference on DAB and the FM was un-tunable.

I contacted Autosound and was advised to disconnect the power supply to the DAB adaptor. They said it works better without being powered. Indeed it was, but not much better. I could not tune in Classic FM for instance and again DAB went rubbish as soon as I left home :scratchheadyellow:

Autosound offered further advice which was simple and not really useful, so I suspect my only solution will be separate FM and DAB antennas. I cannot use a stuck on screen mounted one as I have a heated front screen (£800 so I'm not going to change it!)

I looked at Dabonwheels too and thought of 2 solutions. They have a "roof mounting" combined DAB/FM antenna which I could install in place of the electric retractable, but this position may compromise its performance. Else maybe a separate DAB through glass antenna which I could put on the rear screen next to the hinges. This would be fairly unobtrusive with the antenna being removable.
Jerome Lunt
1970 S2 FHC - Dark Blue, Red Interior, MX5 Seats
2008 MX-5 NC PRHT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#2 Re: FM/DAB radio reception

Post by Heuer » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:35 am

Why not just stream Classic FM or any other station from your phone and throw it to the radio unit (or speaker) via Bluetooth? I really can't see the point of investing in DAB for a classic car with its associated reception problems when streaming is so easy. I know there are a couple of problems with streaming but they can be overcome:

1. Data charges - most smartphone contracts come with many Gbytes of data allowance but streaming at 96k will hardly make an impact. Seems little point streaming at 192k, 320k or FLAC (lossless) unless you have a high end audio system which no E-Type will have.

2. Reception blackspots - can be overcome with an app that cache's the stream so music plays constantly. I have not researched which apps allow caching however I regularly listen to Radio Paradise at home and on the road. Their free app allows you to cache many hours or days of their streams (Main, Mellow, Rock or Groovy Mixes) either via Wi-Fi or via cellular. https://www.radioparadise.com/rp_2.php? and https://new.radioparadise.com/player

TuneIn Radio has a vast assortment of stations and their app allows you to set a buffer to avoid dropouts and record programs to an SD card for listening on the road.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#3 Re: FM/DAB radio reception

Post by 288gto » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:36 pm

Heuer wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:35 am
I really can't see the point of investing in DAB for a classic car with its associated reception problems......
Now you tell me David. :lol:

However I’m old fashioned in that I like to press a button on my radio and it changes station and press a button on my phone and it makes a phone call.
No doubt when I’ve wasted hours pulling aerials apart and making screen supports, I’ll have to say you were right all along :lol:

Jerry you wouldn’t have been hijacking my thread at all, if it’s DAB reception related I’m keen to hear.

Ray Smith who I bought the radio from did mention that they have had mixed success with the stick on window type.
DAB aerials seem to be much more susceptible to performance drop off related to positioning and signal strength.
Also the splitter / converters apparently don’t work with amplified am/fm aerials.

Pilkington who were very helpful, are looking to make a DAB compatible screen but can’t say when this will be ready. Just in case anyone is thinking of getting a Pilkington screen with built in aerial, this is currently only AM/FM compatible and a converter won’t work.

Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#4 Re: FM/DAB radio reception

Post by Heuer » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:00 pm

This is the 'official' advice on DAB antenna's: https://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/wp-conten ... a_info.pdf

This is the DABonWheels advice: https://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/star-rating/

This is the probably the best type of DAB antenna: https://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/product/k ... ar-aerial/ but needs holes drilled

Even installing DAB in a relatively modern vehicle is difficult but doing so in an E-Type is even harder. The glass film stick on ones do not work well as the antenna needs to be vertical and ideally having a 360° unobstructed view. The glass mounted adhesive ones are better https://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/product/k ... ar-aerial/ and for £23 worth trying centrally mounted on the screen. If you have a FHC you could try a magnetic: https://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/product/k ... -dma-1006/ but it is not going to look pretty.

Been through all of this and eventually gave up, bought a Logitech Boom UE Bluetooth speaker which sits neatly behind the glovebox and used my Smartphone to stream. As it is on a window mount for Sat Nav and running Car Dashdroid or Android Auto I have nice big buttons for changing station/volume right in front of me. Certainly worth giving it a try as the apps are free and the convenience is excellent.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#5 Re: FM/DAB radio reception

Post by Gfhug » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:11 pm

And you must have to crank the volume up to 11 to hear it in an OTS at any sort of speed :wink:
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#6 Re: FM/DAB radio reception

Post by Heuer » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:36 pm

The UE Boom does go loud but pointless in an OTS with the roof down. With the hood up at 70mph in motorway traffic it is perfectly acceptable. Having said that and despite all the work I did getting a period look radio to sound good, attempts at DAB and finally using Bluetooth speakers we rarely if ever listen to music when out in the E-Type. Also with the roof down you constantly need to adjust the volume as you drive through villages so as not to come across as a complete prat.

If we are ever in Suffolk/north Essex though I would love to tune into Radio Caroline (yes, they are still broadcasting) on 648 kHz AM - really takes you back to the swinging 60's.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#7 Re: FM/DAB radio reception

Post by Gfhug » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:58 pm

Surely you can drive through villages with The Stones, The Who, Spinal Tap at full blast. :bouncyyellow:
And the Three Tenors singing Nessum Dorma would be excellent :rvrence:
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
JerryL770
Great Britain

#8 Re: FM/DAB radio reception

Post by JerryL770 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:24 pm

Unfortunately David, I'm something of a pedant when it comes to the smartphone (which keeps telling me on emails so I change it to STUPIDphone :bigrin: )

Interesting how Dabonwheels promotes DAB for cars as the best thing since sliced bread!! :?:

Thanks for the links, think I've looked at most of them (edit - oh, I hadn't seen the 1st) wondering on how many ££s I will waste on a fruitless selection. I will have to get my brain together with the stupidphone :seeingstars:
Jerome Lunt
2008 MX-5 NC PRHT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#9 Re: FM/DAB radio reception

Post by 288gto » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:42 pm

JerryL770 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:24 pm
I will have to get my brain together with the stupidphone :seeingstars:
Don’t worry Jerry, as far as I’m concerned the Nokia 3310 is as advanced as mobile phones ever ever needed to get :lol: My son despairs.

Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#10 Re: FM/DAB radio reception

Post by Heuer » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:30 pm

I have DAB in my daily driver but I rarely listen to anything on it as the quality of FM is streets ahead, certainly on Classic FM and Radio 2. Basically digital sucks as they compress the signal and chuck a lot of the musical information away. Bottom line - why are you bothering with DAB when it is inferior?
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnetype
Great Britain

#11 Re: FM/DAB radio reception

Post by johnetype » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:43 pm

There's nothing wrong with digital per se but David is right that DAB quality is terrible for majority of the commercial stations. It didn't used to be but then the bean counters realised there was more money to be made by cramming in more channels and to do that many stations now broadcast at only 92kb/s in mono :wow:
If you're interested, many DAB radios will tell you what the data rate is for a particular station if you go deep in their menus.

Although I have several DAB radios in cars, streaming is the way to go in an E type especially as all you need to add is a 3.5mm jack socket to the oldest and most period looking radio, plug in your phone and off you go.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mark10337
Switzerland

#12 Re: FM/DAB radio reception

Post by mark10337 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:56 am

I don't think I would notice the difference with the top down :bigrin: We all use it for different things. Some want to listen to the news or a radio 4 program, so it isn't always about the sound quality or even stereo in some cases.
FM is being turned off in some parts of the world and it is still nice to just push a button and get the station you want instead of faffing with an app on the phone.

Horses for courses however. Most of the time I do use my phone, either for stored music or radio via internet. There are occasions that I use the DAB reception (antennae on the window) when I want to simply just use the local offerings.

All of this doesn't seem so helpful to the original poster who wants to fix DAB/FM reception. David posted some good links, and I believe the best way would be the combined aerial. Window mounted will always be second best.
-Mark

1969 Series 2 OTS, Regency Red
'Life's to short to drive a boring car'

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
JerryL770
Great Britain

#13 Re: FM/DAB radio reception

Post by JerryL770 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:24 am

Thanks all, Mark and David.

I think you are right David, and I will just stick with FM - never been a problem with that.

Although, having spent some £250 on the all singing all dancing radio + aerial I was hoping to get more from it but then, all too often I buy top of the range (?) stuff and use only 10% of its abilities :thumbdown:
Jerome Lunt
2008 MX-5 NC PRHT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#14 Re: FM/DAB radio reception

Post by Heuer » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:35 am

johnetype wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:43 pm
Although I have several DAB radios in cars, streaming is the way to go in an E type especially as all you need to add is a 3.5mm jack socket to the oldest and most period looking radio, plug in your phone and off you go.
Rather than mess with leads this Firefly gadget can add Bluetooth to a car that lacks it:

I use one in my Range Rover Sport because although it does have Bluetooth it is limited to phone calls only. The Firefly automatically connects to my phone and lets me stream music.

if you have an older radio that does not have an aux socket or USB then one of these works well by broadcasting to your FM radio on an empty frequency:

David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic