Cylinder head identification

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
kgb123
Wales

#1 Cylinder head identification

Post by kgb123 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:46 pm

Afternoon,

I was looking at some posts on Jag lovers about cylinder head markings. All seemed a tad confusing and vague and I didn't get to far searching this forum...lots of hits on Cylinder and head etc. perhaps i should be searching smarter :?:

Anyway here's some pics of my head. (currently sat in a plastic bag awaiting the engine rebuild) From what I've read, does the fact that clearest identification data is on the underside and the galley plugs are hex headed mean this is a late series 1 head? Car is a 1968 series 1.5, original engine is long gone, there is a series 2 (7R) block (also awaiting rebuild)

Interestingly it looks as though head type identification letter in the valley has been deliberately scored out for some reason. There is also a second area on the head in the valley that I've not read about it supposed to be having any markings, but again there looks to be deliberate scoring out. Finally again in the valley but on the side there appears to be a "patch". not sure if this is an old repair or not.

Would welcome any thoughts/observations.

Cheers

1968 Series 1.5 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links