Door mirrors

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Tricky1.5
Australia

#1 Door mirrors

Post by Tricky1.5 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:53 am

From what I can see the series 1.5 only came with one mirror on the drivers side. Did Jaguar ever install two mirrors on the e type?
Would anyone recommend a mirror on both sides?
Who is selling the best aftermarket mirrors?
Cheers
1968 series 1.5 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rossbraithwaite
Great Britain

#2 Re: Door mirrors

Post by rossbraithwaite » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:39 pm

I have no door or wing mirrors fitted and have absolutely no issues driving like that. Over-shoulder visibility is so good that a glance tells you all you need to change lanes. I don't do much reversing into car park spaces but the car is so narrow I doubt if they are required. In my opinion they are more trouble than they are worth!
'67 S1.5 FHC, manual, maroon with black interior. Originally exported to Arizona but 'repatriated' in '89. Since converted to RHD and triple SUs.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Polse7317
France

#3 Re: Door mirrors

Post by Polse7317 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:49 pm

I have fitted those above from FOSSEWAY if i remember.... you only have to remove the plastic pad against the chrome by a rubber home made one to avoid slipping ....

Yves, happy XKE 63 fhc , w113 280sl owner
Looking for a OTS 4.2 serie 1....! :scratchheadyellow: and now have found a fhc xk 140 :lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#4 Re: Door mirrors

Post by Gfhug » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:50 pm

Tricky, from what I've read door mirrors were optional extras often fitted by the dealers.
I fitted mirrors to both doors on my S2 and feel much happier in traffic giving you better situational awareness, especially for seeing the idiots barrelling up behind you, whether trying to overtake or at speed from the slip road. These are the Tex ones that need holes drilled into the metal of the door. If you are going that route you'll need to be very careful in getting the angle correct or you'll not see anything useful through them.
A fit to the window channel that gets good reviews is:
http://www.fossewayperformance.co.uk/e- ... or-mirror/

That's my tuppence worth FWIW

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#5 Re: Door mirrors

Post by JJC » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:57 pm

I am a big believer of mirrors on both sides. I bought my series 3 new, and it had the beautiful adjustable mirror on the drivers side of course. I had the Jaguar factory send me the adjustable from -the-inside door mirror for the right side.....their driver side. Perfect match ! Looks great, and so much safer. Now I can check both sides by simply moving my eyes for a look. Turning your head to look back to see if a lane is clear is dangerous.
They look fine, don't detract from the look of the car, and as you will notice, no car, for years, has been sold without mirrors on both sides. Smart.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simon P
Great Britain

#6 Re: Door mirrors

Post by Simon P » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:13 pm

JJC wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:57 pm
Turning your head to look back to see if a lane is clear is dangerous.
Except that you have to turn your head anyway to check the inevitable dangerous blind spot left by the mirrors. Known in biker circles as a 'lifesaver' check - and with good reason....
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258
1993 Lancia Delta HF integrale Evo II

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#7 Re: Door mirrors

Post by malcolm » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:44 pm

Geoff, the mirrors you show have phillips heads - don't they screw into the window frame?
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Polse7317
France

#8 Re: Door mirrors

Post by Polse7317 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:51 pm

no hole in the window frame, the screws press only
Yves, happy XKE 63 fhc , w113 280sl owner
Looking for a OTS 4.2 serie 1....! :scratchheadyellow: and now have found a fhc xk 140 :lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#9 Re: Door mirrors

Post by malcolm » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:52 pm

Thanks yves, understand now!
Malcolm
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#10 Re: Door mirrors

Post by Gfhug » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:08 pm

The "lifesaver check" is still valid on modern cars as much as on an E Type with mirrors.
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jeremy
Great Britain

#11 Re: Door mirrors

Post by Jeremy » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:18 pm

I wouldn't dream of driving anything without door mirrors on both sides. Use of nearside mirror before turning left or exiting a roundabout could save the life of a cyclist. I've got the Fosseway mirrors with convex glass and so far so good. But you have to use non-slip rubber as the nylon pads are useless.
Jeremy
1967 S1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#12 Re: Door mirrors

Post by JJC » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:12 pm

Friends : I have never once in my life heard the expression, "life saver check". If it works for individuals for years , either in addition to using the mirror, or without, it is potentially dangerous. I won't go over my years of experience driving in NYC in cars, and on motorcycles. I won't discuss my years as a professional FIA licenced race car driver. I won't go into detail over what I learned as a partner in an insurance company specializing in auto coverage. Nope. What I will say is simply this......to take your eyes off whatever is in front of you while driving, is an accident waiting to happen. All three mirrors should be set so that with simply the movement of the drivers eye, you are totally aware of all that is going on around you. To turn your head and shoulder, or even the turn of the head a few inches, is asking for trouble. If it has worked for some of you, this "life saver" check, without indecent, its because you have been lucky, not safe.

Please, please, be careful. If you want an example of how it should be done.....watch ANY global coverage of ANY type of racing. With camera's mounted everywhere inside the car, if you watch carefully, you will notice the driver constantly moving his eyes in an effort to stay completely aware of all thats going on around him. The driver NEVER moves his head or body for a "life saver" check.

Happy motoring !

JJ

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#13 Re: Door mirrors

Post by Series1 Stu » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:22 pm

Complete rubbish.

If you don't look over your shoulder to check your blind spot before pulling out or changing lanes then you are asking for trouble. Especially when you're surrounded by other motorists that are hell bent on being ahead of everyone else.

Using mirrors is important but just as important as looking over your shoulder. Not enough people do this and it seems that you're one of them.

It's perfectly safe to look over your shoulder if you have a big enough gap ahead of you.

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#14 Re: Door mirrors

Post by JJC » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:25 am

I disagree. But thats what makes a forum so interesting. Happy motoring !

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Robbiee

#15 Re: Door mirrors

Post by Robbiee » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:54 am

Hi all
When I took my driving test in 1978 I seem to remember that part of the sequence for pulling into a lane of traffic was to, having checked the wing/rear view mirror, glance over one’s (in the U.K.) right shoulder as a final check.
It was my understanding that not to do so was a significant error in the eyes of the tester.
Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong
BW
Robbie
Robbie 1962 3.8 Coupe OSG 1962 OTS ODG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#16 Re: Door mirrors

Post by chrisfell » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:20 am

In Blighty it is mandatory to use the life saver check in order to obtain a driving licence. Advanced driving qualifications (IAM, RoSPA and police training) also insist on the use of a life saver in a number of situations. Advanced Bikers in particular use if they want to stay alive.

Most of the options available I fit mirrors to an E-Type, clip on, door mounted, bullet style are, when compared to those offered on modern cars, sub-optimal. On today’s congested roads less than perfect mirrors must be supplemented by a shoulder check.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#17 Re: Door mirrors

Post by malcolm » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:45 am

Of course Lewis Hamilton doesn't look over his shoulder going round a race track at speeds up to 200mph, but I bet he does on the roads. Saved my skin a number of times on bike and in car.
Malcolm
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simon P
Great Britain

#18 Re: Door mirrors

Post by Simon P » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:23 pm

JJC wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:12 pm
Please, please, be careful. If you want an example of how it should be done.....watch ANY global coverage of ANY type of racing. With camera's mounted everywhere inside the car, if you watch carefully, you will notice the driver constantly moving his eyes in an effort to stay completely aware of all thats going on around him. The driver NEVER moves his head or body for a "life saver" check.
It's a good point you make there, because in any global coverage of any type of racing you rarely ever see any incidence of blind-spot collisions..........

:roll:
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258
1993 Lancia Delta HF integrale Evo II

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mich7920
France

#19 Re: Door mirrors

Post by Mich7920 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:53 pm

:yeahthat:
Michel
1965 E Type FHC - On the road / 1963 E Type OTS - on the road after Angus Restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#20 Re: Door mirrors

Post by PeterCrespin » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:13 pm

JJC wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:12 pm
Friends : I have never once in my life heard the expression, "life saver check". If it works for individuals for years , either in addition to using the mirror, or without, it is potentially dangerous.
John, I hate to break it to you, but the mere fact you have not heard of something is not, shock-horror, prima facie evidence of invalidity or non-existence. There, I said it.

Conversely, you will have noticed that getting out of bed and into your car or onto your bike is also potentially dangerous. What to do?

My experience motorcycling in Manhattan is far less than yours, but 45 years riding including there, plus UK and European cities and even Australia and India, tells me that if you have ridden extensively without a lifesaver, it is you who have been lucky. I know of no motorcycle that can be fitted with mirrors that result in 180-degree coverage with no blind spots. Ergo, attempting many manoeuvres without a quick lifesaver, risks a collision with survival odds that do not remotely favour the single-track vehicle.

I do agree the cable S3 mirrors are excellent. I would fit them to my XJ12 if it didn't already have a cable later style driver's mirror .I am forced to copy that when installing a passenger side mirror
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic