Play in the steering wheel

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
pmansson
Sweden

#1 Play in the steering wheel

Post by pmansson » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:08 pm

I have changed the 2 (original felt) bushes between inner and outer steering column, but on one or two cars it is the splined connection onto which we secure the steering wheel, after adjusting the lateral position, that remains less than firm after tightening the adjustment knob.
I asked SNG, and they talk about a new, splined shaft in plastic, to be sanded down to fit....
Sounds strange to me.
General opinion on this, please?
Peder

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#2 Re: Play in the steering wheel

Post by christopher storey » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:30 pm

Peder

I rather think that 2 different problems may be arising here

1.A failure to tighten the wheel boss itself down against the split cones which locate the wheel on the upper column . It is not even impossible that 1 or other of the cones has dropped out as the wheel boss has been offered up to the splines, although I would expect that such a situation would produce very obvious movement of the wheel - the other possibility in this connection is that the cones are slightly misplaced so that when the securing nut was tightened it gave the appearance and feel of having been correctly torqued up , whereas in fact there was still some looseness

2.Or, there is some play in the locking adjustment wheel which secures the wheel against axial movement

I am a bit puzzled about the suggestion of a plastic shaft . The only plastic which I recall in this area was 1. the plastic bushes used instead of the felt bushes on later cars

and 2. the plastic "bolt" which shears so as to collapse the column on S2 cars in the case of frontal impact

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic