Early Series 1 4.2 E-Type Block ?

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
44DHR
Great Britain

#1 Early Series 1 4.2 E-Type Block ?

Post by 44DHR » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:22 pm

Following the recent post on Series 1 4.2 E Type heads and the earlier four and later five digit block numbers, I thought I would check the numbers on my E Type engines I have here.
One I know is a replacement block in a later car which has a low four digit 7E number, but I have a query on why the casting date on the block, which is 13-2-64, whereas I understood the 4.2 litre engine wasn’t offered as a fitment to the E Type until October 1964.
Just wondered why such a 4.2 litre block cast in February 1964 would be designated as an E Type engine with the 7E prefix which was only available from October 1964 ?
Is it possible Jaguar started to cast the 4.2 blocks in early 1964 and left them to “age” before machining and using them at a later date, when they would be allocated to a specific Jaguar model and at that point they would then be stamped with the prefixed engine number ?
Photos of the block below.
Regards,
Dave

Dave Rose
1967 Series 1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#2 Re: Early Series 1 4.2 E-Type Block ?

Post by Heuer » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:43 pm

That is indeed odd as, according to Porter, the first 4.2 E-Type appeared on the 'Experimental' list on 20 August 1964 as car 861705 a BRG FHC registered ARW 732B which Norman tested extensively. However we do know Jaguar left cast blocks outside for many months to allow stress relief so it could be Jaguar had the new block design sent to the foundry early in the year.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#3 Re: Early Series 1 4.2 E-Type Block ?

Post by abowie » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:56 pm

The block may have been cast then but they left them outside to de-stress for 6 months of so before machining them and using them.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
44DHR
Great Britain

#4 Re: Early Series 1 4.2 E-Type Block ?

Post by 44DHR » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:44 am

Thanks David and Andrew,
As we thought, the blocks were cast and then left to de-stress for several months before machining. Still, if this is a 4.2 litre E Type block at number 7E1449, presumably the 449th 4.2 litre E Type engine, perhaps I have a claim on one of the earliest cast 4.2 E Type engines from the first 450 4.2 litre E Types !
It would be interesting for people to check their own block casting date - easily done if they can see it behind the rear exhaust manifold and down near the sump area, just in front of the oil dipstick - to see how this date compares to their own car’s production date. Hopefully it will be a date before production and not a significantly later casting date. I know quite a few E Types which have had later date replacement blocks fitted following the original block cracking and even blocks which are in good operational use, once I have removed the inlet manifold I found evidence of block being stitched and welded along the block surface under the inlet manifold, particularly by the front cylinders. This welding is not visible with the inlet manifold fitted. Often the original cylinder head is re-used so the initial inspection just shows the engine number stamped on the head.
Regards,
Dave
Dave Rose
1967 Series 1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#5 Re: Early Series 1 4.2 E-Type Block ?

Post by 288gto » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:48 am

I know AltyIan a friend of mine on here has 4.2 number 12 with its original engine. It would be interesting to see what casting date he has on his.

Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dawnpatrol
Great Britain

#6 Re: Early Series 1 4.2 E-Type Block ?

Post by Dawnpatrol » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:32 am

I live a couple of miles or so from the old Farington Foundries site, it was massive, so they had plenty of room to leave their production to chill and de-stress (sounds like a management training course 😁).
The site is now largely housing and a retail park dominated by a Morrisons Supermarket, sadly no physical remains other than road names. There are however photos on the wall inside the supermarket of the site as it was. Leyland has a proud industrial heritage from trucks to tanks.
There is a local micro brewery that names its beers on the heritage theme, the "Testbed" is very nice!
I had heard the 6 months period for the castings to settle description of the process, it would be interesting to compare casting date to car build dates as suggested previously, if not just to worry the previously creative out there😉😏.
Rates of production must have been impressive as well to keep up, I've never seen two blocks with the same casting date, but they must be out there. 😁
Michael
Michael
1961 OTS LWE, 1965 OTS, 1966 FHC.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lopena
United States of America

#7 Re: Early Series 1 4.2 E-Type Block ?

Post by lopena » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:05 pm

My 3.8 block was cast on October 20, 1963 and the E-type’s build date Is February 12, 1964...not quite four months later.

Alan
N.J.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic