Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Geoff997
Great Britain

#1 Fan belt setup

Post by Geoff997 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:30 pm

Hi this is my first post
I have a 1969 series 2 2+2 automatic LHD wth ac and power steering
Has anyone a diagram of or info on how all the drive belts from the crankshaft are organised.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tom W
Great Britain

#2 Re: Fan belt setup

Post by Tom W » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:12 pm

I have a 1970 S2 with PAS and it used to have AC. The belts should be arranged as follows:

The water pump is driven from the crank pulley groove nearest the block, and goes round groove in the water pump pulley nearest the block. It is tensioned by the spring loaded jockey wheel.

The PAS pump is driven from the forward most crank pulley groove. Tension is by moving the PAS pump on its mounts.

The AC is driven from the centre groove on the water pump pulley. I’m not sure how this is tensioned, as it’s now removed from my car. Possibly move the AC pump on its mount.

The alternator is driven from the front pulley on the water pump, I think that’s tensioned by another jockey wheel, but again this has been changed on my car when the AC was removed.

So, you need 4 belts in total to run everything.
Tom
1970 S2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Geoff997
Great Britain

#3 Re: Fan belt setup

Post by Geoff997 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:23 pm

Thank you Tom I will talk to the mechanic working on the car and see if that works on my set up

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tom W
Great Britain

#4 Re: Fan belt setup

Post by Tom W » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:44 pm

Not my photo, but this shows some of the belt setup. Looks like the AC pump has a jockey wheel and the alternator is tensioned by rotating it on its mounts.

http://classicjaguar.com/cj/5ANDY2.jpg
Tom
1970 S2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

nefematic
Germany

#5 Re: Fan belt setup

Post by nefematic » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:16 am

Geoff welcome to the forum! You have come to a great place!

My car is US1970 S2 OTS lhd with AC and PS. Here a small shematic as seen from the front. The belts noted in the shematic are the american ones fitted when the car came. The second picture is recent when I changed the belts last week. The new belt sizes are written to the left, the old ones to the right. The order in which they go on is Waterpump, PS, AC then Alt. The WP tensioner wheel has an oil screw, oil when out. Tensioner regard this for correct setting of the retension tab: https://forums.jag-lovers.com/t/xke-s2- ... ner/367364

The PS and Alt. belt is tensioned by rotating on the mounts. AC has a tensioner to set and is the easy one. I can‘t get sharper images to load so here the belt sizes I used:

WP AVX 13x785
PS AVX 10x735
AC AVX 13x900
ALT AVX 10x600

Ordering multiple times never got the right size so I ended up putting the old ones on the counter and letting the clerk look in storage. Now they fit. ALT is a bit short, could well be 10-20mm longer.

Martin Scherz
Late S2 1970 OTS US LHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Geoff997
Great Britain

#6 Re: Fan belt setup

Post by Geoff997 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:13 pm

Thank you both for your prompt responses. I am really pleased and now have a fully functional car with 4 belts sized as in nefematic's post.

All the best

Geoff

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic