Dynamator by Stealth

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Eachmama
Great Britain

#1 Dynamator by Stealth

Post by Eachmama » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:07 am

Hello there,
Has anybody fitted a Dynamator to their car and if so was it successful? My 1963 car has stopped charging so I am considering fitting one of these. Long ago I converted the car to -ve earth and fitted an alternator from an XJ6 but this has finally given up the ghost. I used the twin V pulley from the dynamo which was bigger than the original one on the alternator so the charging has always been a little poor. The technician at Powerspark says he thinks the dynamo pulley should be all right on their product but he did not fill me with confidence. Any advice on or experience of the Dynamator would be very welcome.

Thanks,
Andrew
1963 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#2 Re: Dynamator by Stealth

Post by Heuer » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:26 pm

Never personally been a fan of the Dynamator because they are very expensive and I have no idea what innards they use. My personal preference is to fit a Nippon Denso 19630-64013 which is hugely reliable, has an on-board regulator and is lightweight: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6668

They used to cost £40 but are now running at £165 because of demand from classic car owners. Still a bargain though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Denso-Altern ... :rk:1:pf:0
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Fasthound1963OTS
United States of America

#3 Re: Dynamator by Stealth

Post by Fasthound1963OTS » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:11 pm

I have the Fosseway Dynator on my 1963 OTS. Fits perfectly and looks like the original dynamo. I’ve put a few hundred miles on mine since I installed it and no problems. It works great from my perspective. Installation was easy. It has a built in voltage regulator so you by-pass the voltage regulator but keep it in place, so when you open the bonnet everything looks stock. I also switched out the ammeter for a voltmeter.

I had a few minor problems with pulley size at first but Fosseway responded quickly and they were great about answering questions, etc.

Good luck,
Kevin

PS - photos at this link
https://forums.jag-lovers.com/t/fossewa ... 3-8/364487
1963 3.8L S1 OTS - apparently resurrected from multiple sources because not a single number matches :wink:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mark Gordon
United States of America

#4 Re: Dynamator by Stealth

Post by Mark Gordon » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:09 pm

Another option (I understand that it's available in UK) is the Delco 10S. I installed one about a year or so ago. Cheap ($49), one wire, internally regulated. Plus, it's stocked in all FLAPS in the US and maybe worldwide. Amazon carries them for about $61.
Mark

67 OTS 1E14988, 2015 Camry XSE

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Eachmama
Great Britain

#5 Re: Dynamator by Stealth

Post by Eachmama » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:05 pm

Thank you for your responses.
It's the Dynator which is the expensive one at £375 or even more and interestingly is made up with the internal parts of as Denso alternator. What I'm considering is a Dynamator which appears to be a snip at £145.95. Both look like Lucas dynamos, which is the look I'd prefer to have under my bonnet. If anybody can tell me the Dynamator works well for them, then to use that horrible expression it would appear to be a no-brainer.
1963 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic