Lumenitron Magnetronic

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
mikebryan
Germany

#1 Lumenitron Magnetronic

Post by mikebryan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:44 pm

I am restoring a 1968 S1.5. When I opened up the distributor, I found a new looking Lumenition Magnetronic Ignition had been fitted. The engine / car was in bits when I bought it, so I am sure the LM Ignition was part of the " restoration / bodge " done by the previous owner.

After unsiezing the dizzy and cleaning it up I attempted to bench test the LM. Connected the red wire from the module to a 12v + the black wire to the 12v - . Put a test bulb in the plus side of the circuit, placed the disc over the Ignition module and spun the disc, hoping that the bulb would flicker.... nichts. replaced the bulb with my multi meter which showed a constant 10.3 V

I guess this means the unit is for the bin ????? Would appreciate any input from someone who unlike myself understands car electronics.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#2 Re: Lumenitron Magnetronic

Post by cactusman » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:03 pm

I suspect you have wired it wrongly....and may have cooked it. I suspect t it should be wired as follows. Red to ignition positive. Black to CB terminal on the coil, the other coil terminal being connected to ign positive. Negative is the metal body of the module. So to test connect red to +, the bulb from + to black and negative to the metal body.....probably.....
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnetype
Great Britain

#3 Re: Lumenitron Magnetronic

Post by johnetype » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:08 am

I don't think that connecting it up that way will have harmed the unit but connect it up as Julian has suggested and try again.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mikebryan
Germany

#4 Re: Lumenitron Magnetronic

Post by mikebryan » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:17 am

Hi Julian

Thanks for your advice, wired it as per your suggestion and amazingly it worked. Thanks again for your input

Cheers

Mike

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic