Indicators & warning lights.

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#1 Indicators & warning lights.

Post by rswaffie » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:13 pm

Hi All,
I am at the end of my electrical knowledge with this problem so hoping for some assistance :scratchheadyellow:
I have a led indicator upgrade kit fitted - 4 flasher bulbs, two warning bulbs and a led flasher relay.
Fitted and working fine at the rear before connecting up the bonnet. Also working after connecting the bonnet at the front. Since then, I have connected and tested the reverse light. I’ve now noticed that when operating the left or right indicators, the warning light comes on, and the relevant front & rear flasher but they stay on, with no flashing!
I’ve checked all the earths at the flasher units and all seem ok.
I had another relay (again for led bulbs but with a clicker) so substituted it. This time, I got flashing indicators, clicking relay but no warning lights. However, only if I reduced the voltage to between 8 and 9.5 volts.
If I put 12v through, nothing!
Any ideas?
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#2 Re: Indicators & warning lights.

Post by cactusman » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:36 pm

Most bizarre. I would start by rigging up the flasher independent of the car to verify it works correctly. If it does then there is a wiring fault somewhere although why the reverse light seems to interfere is a mystery . Other than both the flasher and reverse lamp run from fuse 7 they are un related. Have to say the odd voltage sensitivity suggests a flasher unit anomaly. Shame you are not close by or id offer to pop round. I love an electrical gremlins to solve :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mark10337
Switzerland

#3 Re: Indicators & warning lights.

Post by mark10337 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:13 pm

Have you tried disconnecting the reverse light again to see if that circuit is causing the problem or that something may have been knocked/nudged etc. when you connected it up.
-Mark

1969 Series 2 OTS, Regency Red
'Life's to short to drive a boring car'

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#4 Re: Indicators & warning lights.

Post by rswaffie » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:06 pm

Hi,
I’ll try removing the reverse switch connections, as you say they both run to fuse 7 and I may have dislodged something in the process.
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jeremy
Great Britain

#5 Re: Indicators & warning lights.

Post by Jeremy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:25 am

Richard, I am all sympathy....but apart from commiserations, all I can offer is: double and triple check your connections against the wiring diagram. I got some really strange effects with my HRW warning light circuit and was utterly baffled, until I went through it all methodically and found I had switched 2 harness connectors by mistake. I was inventing explanations for certain effects and trying to find the fault in the basis of those erroneous assumptions....
But I tell you, I was dead chuffed i had fitted a battery earth master switch...I'm indebted to Rory for that idea. A fantastically useful upgrade.
Jeremy
1967 S1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#6 Re: Indicators & warning lights - solved!

Post by rswaffie » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:05 pm

So, having removed all led bulbs and replaced with filaments, still no flashing- just constant orange and green. Put leds back.
Removed glass headlamp cover on left side, removed scoop and checked all earths & connections , no probs found. Removed right side flasher assembly and checked the same. Rears checked as well.
Took dash top off and checked all relay, warning light and flasher switch connections in case something was disturbed during reverse switch cabling connections. All looked good.
Charged battery up in case using transformer power supply was causing an issue and tried again- still no flashing.
So, emailed the supplier of the led flasher kit to see if he had any ideas. “You will need to swap over the + and L connections from the relay as although you ordered a positive earth bulb kit, the relay that comes with it is not positive earth - there should have been a small sticker on the box noting this”!!!
Well, given that they had been working ok with it ‘incorrectly’ wired, and there is a plastic connector on the loom that the relay plugs into that only allows for a -ive orientation, that can only mean that until I connected up the reverse lamp, there must have been some sort of earthing fault that allowed it to work?????
So, I made up 3 short wires to allow me to swap the connections from relay to plastic connector and it worked immediately. The reverse lamp still works too!
Still none the wiser but glad it’s sorted!!!
:shrug: :dance:
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic