Tyres

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Don M
Australia

#1 Tyres

Post by Don M » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:31 am

Does anyone have any experience with Dunlop sport classic tyres. Here in Australia they are substantially cheaper than the Michelin xwx but I’m not sure whether they are suitable. I’m installing a set of Dayton 6 inch wide wheels on a series 1 fhc which I know is a heinous crime!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#2 Re: Tyres

Post by Heuer » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:34 am

Interestingly the Dunlop are more expensive than the Michelin XVS here in the UK: https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classi ... tml#page=2

I have XVS on my OTS and Dunlop Sport on my FHC. The Dunlop's seem to fill the wheel arch better and from the front/rear look fatter (this is on 5" rims) which I think is down to the tread pattern. In terms of outright performance the XVS's grip better and inspire more confidence when pressing on; they do seem to wear faster because the rubber is of a soft composition - I only get 8,000 miles from the rears if I drive determinedly. High speed stability is also better.

Fitting either of these tyres to 6" rims will stiffen the side walls and whilst it will make the ride slightly harsher the steering will be sharper. If you are not a hooligan go for the Dunlop. It may be worth contacting Longstone (speak to Dougal) as they ship world wide at low cost.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Don M
Australia

#3 Re: Tyres

Post by Don M » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:11 am

David, thanks for your helpful and informative reply. Without conceding to being a hooligan, I think I’ll go with the Michelins on my fhc and when the pirellis are due to be changed on the roadster, I’ll try the Dunlops on that car.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

edriver
Germany

#4 Re: Tyres

Post by edriver » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:23 am

Hi Don & David,
I just had to make this tyre decision myself, but opted for the Michelin XVS 185/80R15V on 5" rims because I like the pizza cutter appearance (I had Yokohama 205/70R15 on 6" before). I was told by two independent sources (my tyre dealer and my restorer), that the Michelins age slower and perform better than the Dunlops. The limited possible mileage does not concern me. Now we need some advice, if this is true for the XWX 205/70R15's as well.
As for the price, David, you looked up the wrong size. The Dunlop SP Sport Aquajet from Longstone is cheaper than the Michelin XWX in the 205/70R15 size. Looking at the pictures on the Longstone website, I do not like the tread pattern of the Dunlops reaching onto the tyre side walls. I would prefer the look of the XWX for an S1.
Klaus
1963 FHC 889633, 1979 Porsche 928, 1991 Mazda MX-5

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic