Door hinge bolts and washers.

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Stevejaguar
Great Britain

#1 Door hinge bolts and washers.

Post by Stevejaguar » Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:26 pm

Hi, on removing the door hinges from my series 1 2+2 I was surprised to find serrated locking washers in the 4 tapered holes in the hinges under the head of some of the bolts. Is this correct ?
I would have thought that the tapered portion of the bolts under the head were meant to go straight into the tapered portions of the hole of the hinge. If they did not have the serrated washers how were they locked in place ?
Also one of my hinges appears to have been plated. Were they plated or painted body colour?
Thanks
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

265bhp
Great Britain

#2 Re: Door hinge bolts and washers.

Post by 265bhp » Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:59 pm

Hi Steve

Did you not also have 2 self tapping screws as well within the main hinge plate….one doors were positioned then 2 self tappers were drilled in through the plate into the door itself….to locate and to then allow door removal/painting and repositioning correctly

I had conical serrated washers on my car

Painted body colour

Best
Jonathan
1963 3.8 FHC ..now finished …………….
1974 2.7 Carrera now as an RS Touring

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#3 Re: Door hinge bolts and washers.

Post by angelw » Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:41 pm

Jonathan Wrote:
Did you not also have 2 self tapping screws as well within the main hinge plate….one doors were positioned then 2 self tappers were drilled in through the plate into the door itself….to locate and to then allow door removal/painting and repositioning correctly
Hello Jonathan,
There should be two screws to aid repositioning the doors after removal, but they are not self tapping. Holes are drilled and tapped through both the blade of the hinge and the reinforced section of the door frame where the hinge interfaces with the door.

Steve Wrote:
Hi, on removing the door hinges from my series 1 2+2 I was surprised to find serrated locking washers in the 4 tapered holes in the hinges under the head of some of the bolts. Is this correct ?
I would have thought that the tapered portion of the bolts under the head were meant to go straight into the tapered portions of the hole of the hinge. If they did not have the serrated washers how were they locked in place ?
Also one of my hinges appears to have been plated. Were they plated or painted body colour?
Hello Steve The washers under the tapered head of the hing affixing bolts, originally are not serrated, but are a tapered star washer.

The hinges were painted body colour.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Stevejaguar
Great Britain

#4 Re: Door hinge bolts and washers.

Post by Stevejaguar » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:08 am

Thanks Jonathan and Bill for your answers.
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

265bhp
Great Britain

#5 Re: Door hinge bolts and washers.

Post by 265bhp » Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:20 pm

Quite right…my error…not self tappers….

Steve
From memory they were 1/4” unf…and had pan head set screw types..I had to re-drill and re-tap mine…but were pretty straight forward to do…unlike hanging the doors which took quite some time… :bigrin:

If you can get a hold of a copy of the Spare Parts Catalogue, apart from having lovely illustrations they are a gold mine of amazing information
1963 3.8 FHC ..now finished …………….
1974 2.7 Carrera now as an RS Touring

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic