Splined Yoke

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
mgcjag
Great Britain

#1 Splined Yoke

Post by mgcjag » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:09 pm

Hi All....Splined yoke that fits into rear hub....No 26 on SNG https://www.sngbarratt.com/uk/#!/Englis ... UM%20SHAFT shown as no longer available...a friend needs a replacement due to damage removeing it....are they E type specific or interchangable for those used on XJ6 (S1/2/3)....I know that the splines are the same as the rear hubs and bearings are the same but is the overall length and part that connects to universal joint the same.....will also get him to post in wanted section...thanks..Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#2 Re: Splined Yoke

Post by abowie » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:20 am

AFAIK they are interchangeable. The length difference is in the central driveshaft section.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: Splined Yoke

Post by mgcjag » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:08 am

Hi Andrew...thanks for the reply....will get one and check it out...all the best...Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#4 Re: Splined Yoke

Post by christopher storey » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:37 am

Steve : wire wheels were never offered as an option in XJ6 cars, so that I'm afraid is likely to be a non-starter. Your best bet is S type/420/Sovereign up to 1968/9, which may be the same . What is the nature of the damage ?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mgcjag
Great Britain

#5 Re: Splined Yoke

Post by mgcjag » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:39 am

Hi Christopher its just the splined yoke....not the hub.....im currently useing xj6 splined yoke on e type rear splined hub on my C type build so i know they fit just not sure they are the same part as on E type....the damage was caused by a garage trying to press out the splined shaft.....the hub carrier cracked and the thread end totally crushed....dont have exact details as im a 3rd party.......the forum member with the problem will add more detail here i think.....iv supplied a replacement hub carrier....just trying to get him sorted with parts to continue his rear end refurb...Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Robbiee

#6 Re: Splined Yoke

Post by Robbiee » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:22 pm

Hi
I have a couple of these from an Etype rear axle that are in good Nick (need cleaning/paint) if you want them
Just PM me
Robbie
Robbie 1962 3.8 Coupe OSG 1962 OTS ODG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mgcjag
Great Britain

#7 Re: Splined Yoke

Post by mgcjag » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:09 pm

Hi Robbie...thanks for the offer....im only acting a 3rd party to help....Im sure Andy will post here soon and update progress....all the best...Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ClassicJagMan
Great Britain

#8 Re: Splined Yoke

Post by ClassicJagMan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:48 pm

Hi Andrew, Christopher, Robbie (and Steve),
My name is Andy, Steve (mgcjag) very kindly posted the original post on the forum on my behalf. He has been very kindly spending a lot of time in helping me trying to sort out my predicament. The story so far..........My E-type is currently in a garage having the rear cage overhauled with new discs, callipers, shocks, springs, bearings etc., etc., The garage was unable to separate the splined yoke from the splined hub, on the offside, despite applying up to 30tons of pressure in a hydraulic press! Unfortunately whilst trying the aluminium hub carrier cracked under the pressure before the shafts even budged a millimetre and the short splined yoke was damaged beyond use. Steve has supplied me with a replacement hub carrier which has left me trying to source a replacement splined yoke. As mentioned by Steve above, SNG show the part as not being available as it is no longer manufactured. That is my current state of play.................
Robbie, I am extremely interested in your offer and have sent you a PM, this could finally resolve all my woes........fingers crossed.
I would just like to say how much I really appreciate all of your collective advice and help in trying to assist me resolve my dilemma, this is such a great forum.
Many thanks again to all of you.
Kind regards,
Andy
Andy
1969 LHD S2 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

fj55mike
United States of America

#9 Re: Splined Yoke

Post by fj55mike » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:52 pm

I recently went through similar woes and ended up needing to replace my splined yoke. I called around and Welsh Enterprises in Ohio had several used ones on hand, at a reasonable price. Good luck,
MB
Michael
1965 4.2l FHC 1E31943

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ClassicJagMan
Great Britain

#10 Re: Splined Yoke

Post by ClassicJagMan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:58 pm

fj55mike wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:52 pm
I recently went through similar woes and ended up needing to replace my splined yoke. I called around and Welsh Enterprises in Ohio had several used ones on hand, at a reasonable price. Good luck,
MB
Many thanks for the info Michael, I will bear that in mind.
Andy
1969 LHD S2 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#11 Re: Splined Yoke

Post by angelw » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:10 am

Andy Wrote:
The garage was unable to separate the splined yoke from the splined hub, on the offside, despite applying up to 30tons of pressure in a hydraulic press! Unfortunately whilst trying the aluminium hub carrier cracked under the pressure before the shafts even budged a millimetre and the short splined yoke was damaged beyond use.
Hello Andy,
This reply is not going to help you much to get a replacement splined yoke, other than I'm fairly sure that one from an XJ6 is the same (from the universal outwards). However, this may help others that are yet to tackle the dismantling of the rear hub from splined shaft, to have some clue as to how it comes apart. If the aluminium hub was damaged during the process, then the garage doing the work had not a clue how.

There should be no pressure whatsoever on the aluminium hub carrier, at any point in the process. The effort needs to be confined to the two parts being separated and that was clearly not the case if the hub carrier was damaged, I'd say that was one reason for the 30ton load; not all of that load was being applied to the parts to be separated. It was quite common, at one time, to Loctite this spline. Even the gnarliest of splined shaft and hub, I've not got anywhere near 30tons.

Picture Hub3 following shows my rig in place ready to press the splined shaft from the hub. The Hub Carrier and all other parts are suspended below the plate. Only the threaded end of the hub is protruding through the plate and is held captive by the Threaded Boss (Left and Right Hand Threaded). The centre pin engages with the centre drilled hole of the splined shaft. Accordingly, pressure applied to the pin will tend to push the splined shaft down, through the internal spline of the hub (which is held stationary).

Hub3

Picture Hub1 following shows the threaded boss supported on timber spacers. This is for demonstration only, so that the arrangement of the hub coming up through the plate can be seen.

Hub1

Picture Hub2 following better shows the arrangement of the centre push mandrel.

Hub2

The Threaded Boss in my pictures is quite similar to the tool specified by Jaguar (Tool JD7A). JD7A has a couple of holes around it's circumference for a Tommy Bar, and a centre threaded hole for a jacking bolt. My interpretation, is their tool on steroids.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mgcjag
Great Britain

#12 Re: Splined Yoke

Post by mgcjag » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:23 am

Hi Bill..thats a great tool but unfotunatly must of us diy guys dont have the facility to make one so pressing the shaft while supporting the hub carrier is something we have to resort to.....most times you will seperate the splined yoke but there is always the chance of damaging the carrier....that said there is no real excuse for a garage not doing the job properly..
Looking at your tool i was wondering if a continental style spinner with a hole drilled in the center could work in substitute of the main body of your tool......screwed on to the hub and supported from below just as yours above and use a press through the hole onto the shaft.....your thoughts for us diy guys.....Thanks...Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#13 Re: Splined Yoke

Post by angelw » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:08 pm

Hello Steve,
Yes, that would work. I've seen spinners (both Eared and Continental) drilled and threaded in the centre to facilitate a jacking bolt. The limiter with the jacking bolt version is the amount of force that can be applied with the threaded jacking bolt. Accordingly, there is no reason why a plain centre hole and a good fitting pointed mandrel would not work well with a press. Clearly, more force could be applied with my steel unit, but the arrangement would be the same and all the force would be applied to the parts that you want to separate. However, the modified spinner would be capable of withstanding the load required to separate a really stuck assembly.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mgcjag
Great Britain

#14 Re: Splined Yoke

Post by mgcjag » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:22 pm

Hi Bill thanks for the reply....is your last sentance correct....or should it be ...would not.....thanks Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#15 Re: Splined Yoke

Post by angelw » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:07 pm

Hello Steve,
The sentence as written is correct. Using the Spinner in the same manner as my set up puts the load on the threads, which would be in shear. The Spinner used in this manner would be stronger than used with a centre threaded hole and a jacking bolt. I believe that the area around where the thread would be cut in the centre, would be the weakest part of the Spinner set up.

Regards,

Bill
Last edited by angelw on Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ClassicJagMan
Great Britain

#16 Re: Splined Yoke

Post by ClassicJagMan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:17 pm

Hi Bill & Steve,
Many thanks for your recent posts. The contents of which I found very interesting and have duly noted.
Kind regards,
Andy
Andy
1969 LHD S2 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ClassicJagMan
Great Britain

#17 Re: Splined Yoke

Post by ClassicJagMan » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:11 am

UPDATE................

This great forum has come up trumps yet again!
A very kind member, Robbie (Robbiee) has sent me a replacement splined yoke. Hooray!
Many thanks for everyone's contributions and advice, especially to Steve (mgcjag) & Robbie (Robbiee) for supplying me with the necessary aluminium hub carrier & aforementioned splined yoke.
I am so happy that my rebuild/restoration is back on track once more.......................
Kind regards,
Andy
Andy
1969 LHD S2 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#18 Re: Splined Yoke

Post by abowie » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:59 am

I just want Bill's workshop. 2 sandblasting cabinets next to each other? Oh yeah!
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ClassicJagMan
Great Britain

#19 Re: Splined Yoke

Post by ClassicJagMan » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:58 am

abowie wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:59 am
I just want Bill's workshop. 2 sandblasting cabinets next to each other? Oh yeah!
HaHa Andrew, I couldn't agree more! :thumbsup:
Andy
1969 LHD S2 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic