Where to get the correct glass fuses

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Quattrofrank
Norway

#1 Where to get the correct glass fuses

Post by Quattrofrank » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:07 am

Hi

I`m trying to find the correct lucas fuses for my car in various amps but I can only find the agc style fuses. If I understand correctly theese are not comparable both in size and blow rating.
Where can the correct ones be found, or any tips for finding the correct ones?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Whitact
Great Britain

#2 Re: Where to get the correct glass fuses

Post by Whitact » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:54 am

Adrian Turner
S3 OTS & FHC
S1 FHC
XK140 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#3 Re: Where to get the correct glass fuses

Post by Heuer » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:31 am

The ratings (amps) are different on modern glass fuses though the physical sizes are usually the same. Basically if Jaguar specified a 50 amp fuse you need to use a 25 amp modern one. The original fuses have markings with "continuous" or "maximum" amp ratings on them - Jaguar used the Lucas the continuous fusing current rating for the 5 amp (3.8 cars), 35 amp and 50 amp fuses fitted to the E-Type.

You can find them on eBay, used and NOS and there are also reproduction ones produced:

Lucas fuses can have three ratings; the continuous current they are designed to carry, the instantaneous current at which they will fuse, and the continuous current at which they will also fuse. The figure found on Lucas fuses is the continuous fusing current which is twice the continuous ampere rating that the system should be using; this can be a source of confusion when replacing Lucas fuses with non Lucas fuses. The UK Lucas 1/4" diameter glass tube fuse have a different length as compared to the standard US item. The Lucas 1/4" diameter glass tube fuse is 1 5/32" [~29 mm] long, while the US standard 1/4" glass tube fuse is 1 1/4" [~32.0 mm] long. However many Lucas fuse holders permit the longer U.S. version to be installed without problem.

So unless you can find NOS Lucas fuses you need 3 amp (3.8 cars), 25 amp and 30 amp modern or US glass fuses.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Quattrofrank
Norway

#4 Re: Where to get the correct glass fuses

Post by Quattrofrank » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:26 am

Thank you
As you say there seem to be some confusion to this and its also very dangerous.
My car came from the us and most of the fuses are wrong. Since this was my first british car ever I did not know about this.
When is took the car apart a lot of the wiring was melted and propbably because of the oem fuse blowing and p.o just bought 35acg fuses.

Found this http://www.britishwiring.com/Fuses-Fuse-Boxes-s/31.htm and they seem to be proper british fuse rating.
Also found this https://www.autosparks.co.uk/electrical ... -fuse.html but they dont specify what kind of fuse it is.
Also since I have changed to led lights, relays for headlights etc I need to get the proper fuses.
I kinda like the british way with several amp ratings and would like to keep it that way

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#5 Re: Where to get the correct glass fuses

Post by Heuer » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:30 am

Quattrofrank wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:26 am
Also since I have changed to led lights, relays for headlights etc I need to get the proper fuses.
The fuses are there to protect the wiring so even if you fit relay's or LED lights you should stay with the original fuse ratings especially to avoid confusion for a subsequent owner or workshop.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic