Rear oil galley bolt size

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
jag68
Canada

#1 Rear oil galley bolt size

Post by jag68 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:24 pm

On the right rear vertical face of the 4.2l block Jaguar used a bolt called a "Headed Bolt" part C2157 to seal off the oil galley. Can anybody advise what wrench size fits that bolt. I need to tighten it, and would like to try to do that without pulling the engine etc.
1967 E Type coupe
1968 E Type OTS
2007 XKR

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jeremy
Great Britain

#2 Re: Rear oil galley bolt size

Post by Jeremy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:24 pm

1 1/8" AF. That's not my personal experience but the advice from Rob Beere. It is accessible without taking out the engine but very tricky and you need slim hands. That isn't my personal experience either. But the seal under that bolt was faulty on mine and leaking. Tom Barclay's apprentice managed to get up there and replace it. Just don't ask me how....
Jeremy
1967 S1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#3 Re: Rear oil galley bolt size

Post by christopher storey » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:28 pm

If I understand you correctly, you are referring to a bolt( Item 1-11 in the parts list ) which is contained within the bellhousing area, and thus I'm afraid there is no way to reach it without removing engine and box and splitting them . Why exactly do you see a need to tighten it, as I really cannot conceive any way it which it would come undone ?

Edit : having read Jeremy's post, which crossed with mine, I wonder whether if might just be possible to reach it by removing the starter motor and reaching in through the hole thereby created . A small hand might be an advantage! - and a large half moon type obstruction spanner

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jeremy
Great Britain

#4 Re: Rear oil galley bolt size

Post by Jeremy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:47 pm

They didn't have to take the starter off Christopher. IIRC they just removed the pressed steel plate at the bottom of the bellhousing and managed to get hand(s) and spanner up in there. How they engaged the spanner on the bolt and turned it I cannot imagine.

I would say you'd definitely have to get the car up on a lift to give yourself space to manoeuvre. I tried with the front of the car up on axle stands and the sump 6 inches above my face and it was futile...
Jeremy
1967 S1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
jag68
Canada

#5 Re: Rear oil galley bolt size

Post by jag68 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:53 pm

Chis it was not sufficiently tightened on assembly. It's a new motor and it's leaking unfortunately.
1967 E Type coupe
1968 E Type OTS
2007 XKR

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#6 Re: Rear oil galley bolt size

Post by christopher storey » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:20 am

Aargh !! I should point out to the engine builder that it is his responsibility !!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic