Insulation on exhaust hoses

Technical advice Q&A

johnetype
Great Britain

#21 Re: Insulation on exhaust hoses

Post by johnetype » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:15 am

Yes but wouldn't you have had the fire whether the pipes were wrapped or not? If hydraulic fluid sprayed in the direction of the exhaust pipes it would catch fire.

+1 for silicone brake fluid.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

66an
Sweden

#22 Re: Insulation on exhaust hoses

Post by 66an » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:34 am

No one can be sure if the fire had started anyway. But remember the pipes are hotter if they are wrapped. And the wrap soak up the oil. Its like a flambeau( correct word?)
My engine was not what I call hot when this happened either. I was idling in a traffic jam for while when this happened.
Mats
1966 S1 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MikeMilton
Canada

#23 Re: Insulation on exhaust hoses

Post by MikeMilton » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:12 pm

66an wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:34 am
No one can be sure if the fire had started anyway. But remember the pipes are hotter if they are wrapped. And the wrap soak up the oil. Its like a flambeau( correct word?)
My engine was not what I call hot when this happened either. I was idling in a traffic jam for while when this happened.
This is another argument for a solution that keeps the surface temperature of the pipes lower. Ceramic coatings (which can be applied both to the interior and exterior of a header (or manifold or pipes) does exactly that.

While not a guarantee, obviously there are circumstances where the surface temp is high enough to start a fire, these situations are fewer.
Just an old guy living by a lake - with a 1969 E-Type FHC, and 1962 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic