64 OTS Rear Bumper Overrider

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
64OTS
Australia

#1 64 OTS Rear Bumper Overrider

Post by 64OTS » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:41 am

Just removed rear bumper (half the bolts snapped off!). I can't remove the bumper blade from the overrider as the bolt just spins, although I can't see any nut, captive or not. the parts book lists a 'grip nut' although I have no idea what this looks like, there does appear to be something like a washer on one side but this is free of the bolt. Any ideas before I resort to the angle grinder anyone?
Tim 1964 4.2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

paulsco
Great Britain

#2 Re: 64 OTS Rear Bumper Overrider

Post by paulsco » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:43 pm

Hi Tim,

I believe the 'grip nut' is like a nut enclosed by a clip that sits in a square hole in the overrider.
I bought some for my 65, but found that the overriders that I replaced them with had welded on nuts.
The only advantage I can see is that it might enable the nut to sit at a different angle to aid adjustment.

If I can find them and you need it, I might be able to post a picture.

You could try wedging it with a large screwdriver. Failing that you could grind the head off the bolt and possibly remove the remnants once the bumper is out of the way.

Paul
65 Series 1 FHC, 68 Jaguar 340

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
64OTS
Australia

#3 Re: 64 OTS Rear Bumper Overrider

Post by 64OTS » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:06 am

Thanks for the reply. It looks like these nuts are the same as hold the sidepanel on my Triumph 650! Anyway, due to the exposed position they have rusted/ disntegrated such that I cannot get a grip on anything. I have put them to one side for later removal with the angle grinder. I may weld in a captive nut before I get the overriders rechromed. I also had to cut off the Amco bar. I quite like these so will be getting them rechromed too - now that I know how much they are to buy!!
Tim 1964 4.2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic