Carb Flooding

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
ALAN COCHRANE
Great Britain

#1 Carb Flooding

Post by ALAN COCHRANE » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:59 pm

Hi Everyone

I decided to start the car for the first time in a month. While I was waiting for the fuel pump to fill the float chambers I noticed the front one was flooding out the overflow.
I dismantled it suspecting a sticking needle valve but all seemed well. The needle valve and float were replaced only last year as part of a carb rebuild, so shouldn't be the cause. Once I'd put the float chamber back together the car started without any fuss.
I can only assume that the lay up combined with old fuel was the cause of the sticky valve. Has anyone else had this problem?

Cheers

Alan
Alan Cochrane

1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mich7920
France

#2 Re: Carb Flooding

Post by Mich7920 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:30 pm

Hi Alan,
I had this and I did exactly the same as you. After some restart I had the same problem.
Happyly the engine was on a jig !
I have recheck the carb leaking and I found that I hadn't the correct spring gap and I think that why the plunger sometimes wedged.
Never leak after.

Mich
Michel
1965 E Type FHC - On the road / 1963 E Type OTS - on the road after Angus Restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
ALAN COCHRANE
Great Britain

#3 Re: Carb Flooding

Post by ALAN COCHRANE » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:06 pm

Hi Mich

The spring was set to the right height during the rebuild but I don't see any harm in rechecking it.

Alan
Alan Cochrane

1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#4 Re: Carb Flooding

Post by abowie » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:15 am

SU float valves will just stick from time to time if left for a while. It doesn't really mean anything unless it happens repeatedly in which case replace it. Often simply tapping the top of the chamber briskly will sort it out.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#5 Re: Carb Flooding

Post by christopher storey » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:09 am

Alan : the real problem is that if the fuel evaporates from the float chamber, the float drops to such a point that the angle between the top of the float and the fork is such that when fuel is introduced, there is so much friction between float and fork and even more so between fork and bottom of needle valve, that the whole apparatus jams.( mainly because the fork is applying more side load than vertical load to the valve ) . A sharp tap on the float chamber with a wooden handled screwdriver will usually cure the problem without the need to dismantle, and you should then be ok unless you let the chamber dry out again

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
ALAN COCHRANE
Great Britain

#6 Re: Carb Flooding

Post by ALAN COCHRANE » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:09 am

Thanks for the replies gents.
Not letting the float chamber run dry seems so obvious now. I'll soon be driving the car regularly again so this shouldn't reoccur. In future it seems that I'll need to get into the habit of running the fuel pump regularly over the winter layup. Something I've never thought about before.
Interestingly the GT6 has never suffered from this problem but I suspect that's because during the winter layup I always manually operate the mechanical fuel pump to fill the float chambers before starting. I think this fills them much more gradually than the E-Type's electric pump.

Cheers

Alan
Alan Cochrane

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic