Quarter light to body seal - orientation

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#1 Quarter light to body seal - orientation

Post by rswaffie » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:38 pm

Hi,
I have fitted one of my new quarter light seals, which went into the channel relatively nicely. Before I go any further, I wanted to check on the orientation.
On the driver’s side, looking from front to back, I have the seal in the lower channel as below, so the glass butts up to it as indicated by the bit of card:

Is this correct?

Tia
Richard
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ChrisC
Great Britain

#2 Re: Quarter light to body seal - orientation

Post by ChrisC » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:38 am

That is the way I fitted it but remember that as it runs around the channel - at the top it ends up the other way around. So check how your window fits against the rubber with the desired gaps etc. you *might* find you prefer the rubber the other way up if its fits better :)

Once it is fitted you don't really see it, so its doesn't matter too much unless you are building a 100 point concours
1964 FHC 4.2
Etype restoration blog http://connor.org.uk

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#3 Re: Quarter light to body seal - orientation

Post by rswaffie » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:33 pm

Thanks Chris. The gaps seem ok, except I can’t seem to get the glass to stop sliding down in the hinge panel - despite tightening up the screws on the plate.
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ChrisC
Great Britain

#4 Re: Quarter light to body seal - orientation

Post by ChrisC » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:48 pm

As far as I can recall, and it was quite a long time ago - I could adjust the quarterlight glass up and down in that channel and then clamp it into position when it looked nice against the door frame. Certainly when it is not clamped it is free to slide up and down as you say but that's not how it should remain. Trouble is, for the life of me, I cant remember how I clamped it tight which is not too helpful.
1964 FHC 4.2
Etype restoration blog http://connor.org.uk

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#5 Re: Quarter light to body seal - orientation

Post by rswaffie » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:06 pm

Hi Chris,
I’ve managed to clamp it tight on the near side. I did this by putting all of the small setscrews in very loosely (just enough to bite into the threads), then position the window behind the clamping plate before tightening up the screws.
However, the same process has not worked on the off side. From memory, the clamping plate is bevelled so it could be that I’ve got it the wrong way - I’ll remove it and try again at the weekend.
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic