Help please - Removing sump.

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
malcolm
Great Britain

#1 Help please - Removing sump.

Post by malcolm » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:02 pm

Hi. Now my head is off my series 2 2+2, and I have time to kill waiting for it to come back, I'm considering taking the pistons out to see if rings are worn. Doesn't look too hard once sump is off. (Hmmm)
However, the bible says you have to remove the crankshaft damper - why is that? And is it difficult to budge?

Also, I assume exhaust has to come off (haven't looked yet). But does the sump then clear everything if I jack the front of the car up?

Any help much appreciated!
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mich7920
France

#2 Re: Help please - Removing sump.

Post by Mich7920 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:09 pm

Hi Malcolm,
If you want to restore your engine as you seems to want doing and make a good job with a maximum confort It could be really more more easy for you if the engine was out of the car.
With the engine out, you'll can check all the parts by following seriusly the jaguar book.
I advise you to read the jaguar book BEFORE doing anything to understand how this engine is built and that's only AFTER you'll can begin to work on it.
Mich
Michel
1965 E Type FHC - On the road / 1963 E Type OTS - on the road after Angus Restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: Help please - Removing sump.

Post by mgcjag » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:30 pm

Hi Malcom.....i assume you are doing this becaus you are changeing the frames...if so most of the hard work is done...wouldnt take much to take engine out you could then check out the clutch......removing pistons is far easier with engine out..but what are you actually looking for worn rings or bores...did you do a compression test before removing head...Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#4 Re: Help please - Removing sump.

Post by christopher storey » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:36 am

Malcolm : you are developing shipwright's disease - soon the entire car will be in pieces ! If it was running ok before , with oil consumption no worse than 200 miles per pint, and fuel consumption of 20 - 23 mpg , then my advice would be to leave well alone, because piston removal is quite a task with the engine in the car because of the ancillary internal shields and pipework that you have to strip out, and there is always the risk that you will break a ring if there is any lip to a bore. The XK engine is as near bomb proof as you can get - they will run almost for ever even if worn out , so if it ain't broke, don't fix it :bigrin:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tom W
Great Britain

#5 Re: Help please - Removing sump.

Post by Tom W » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:42 am

Is there a noticeable wear ridge at the top of each bore?
Tom
1970 S2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mich7920
France

#6 Re: Help please - Removing sump.

Post by Mich7920 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:51 am

"Shipwright's Syndrome, and, in its more serious condition Shipwright's Disease, is a highly infections condition that breeds in classic British car seat leathers and vinyls.

Very few people are immune.

It's symptoms are an ever increasing amount of time spent putzing around on your automobile, and an ever decreasing bank account. The most serious cases are reported when an infected individual goes to replace a burnt out turn signal light, and, then, many hours later, usually early in the morning after forgetting to go to bed, he or she finds the engine in pieces at his or her feet wondering "Whatever have I done ?" or, in even more serious cases "OK, what's next ?".

There are self help groups, where infected individuals gather to discuss their most recent relapse. They disguise themselves as car clubs and the like.

CAUTION : There is no known cure!

Hello, my name is Bob, and I have "the disease"
"
Hello, my name is Mich and I have it too...
Michel
1965 E Type FHC - On the road / 1963 E Type OTS - on the road after Angus Restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jeremy
Great Britain

#7 Re: Help please - Removing sump.

Post by Jeremy » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:11 am

:lol: :bigrin: :drinkingcheers:
Jeremy
1967 S1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JerryL770
Great Britain

#8 Re: Help please - Removing sump.

Post by JerryL770 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:22 am

:yeahthat:

Marvellous :salute:
Jerome Lunt
1970 S2 FHC - Dark Blue, Red Interior, MX5 Seats
2008 MX-5 NC PRHT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Polse7317
France

#9 Re: Help please - Removing sump.

Post by Polse7317 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:09 am

+1..... :roll: :seeingstars:
Yves, happy XKE 63 fhc , w113 280sl owner
Looking for a OTS 4.2 serie 1....! :scratchheadyellow: and now have found a fhc xk 140 :lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
malcolm
Great Britain

#10 Re: Help please - Removing sump.

Post by malcolm » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:48 am

So, a neighbour of mine about 200 yards away is Paul from PJS engineering. He's worked on the cars of a few forum members. He popped round and observed the following:

No lip on the bores.
Previous rebore resulted in +.020 pistons being fitted, and the bore measurement is what you would expect with that size, with no ovality.
Little wear since the rebore, with "tooling" marks from the rebore still visible even. So he felt rings would be highly unlikely to be worn.
Face off block good, no burning and no cracks.

So, with that plus the feedback from you good folk, I'm leaving well alone. I'll see what comes back re the head, and then just put it all back together again. Providing I can remember where it all goes!
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic