Dip Stick bottoms out before it is completely in

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
elliottS
United States of America

#1 Dip Stick bottoms out before it is completely in

Post by elliottS » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:41 pm

Changed my oil for the first time and found that the dip stick would hit something before it was fully in. It showed some oil but would never show into the crosshatched area even though the correct amount of oil was in and engine started and let sit for 5 - 10 mins. Any ideas of what it could be hitting to stop it?

Elliott
69 S2
Elliott Stage
1969 FHC
Silver

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#2 Re: Dip Stick bottoms out before it is completely in

Post by christopher storey » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:24 am

STOP !STOP ! This is a very common problem. What is happening is that your dipstick is hitting the horizontal baffle in the sump , rather than going through the hole in the baffle. This is probably occurring because it has become bent through being pushed against the baffle. Take the stick out and ensure that the lower part is a. straight and b. aligned with the axis of the upper part. Bend it back if necessary to achieve this , and then try again... very gently

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#3 Re: Dip Stick bottoms out before it is completely in

Post by cactusman » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:29 am

And just for sanity check it is the correct dip stick. I believe most, if not all, E type dip sticks have the letter E stamped right at the tip. E is for E type.... not empty! :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#4 Re: Dip Stick bottoms out before it is completely in

Post by chrisfell » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:59 am

Also check the length of the stick that is below the collar. It should be exactly 10 inches to the tip. If is more or less, move the collar to suit.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
elliottS
United States of America

#5 Re: Dip Stick bottoms out before it is completely in

Post by elliottS » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:16 am

Thanks for the info. I was thinking it had something to do with the baffle in the pan. I have not had time to look at it now that is for tomorrow. I have had the car less than a year but next month, May the year will be up. I saw there was a baffle in the pan but not sure how it is attached. Let you all know what I find.

Elliott S.
Elliott Stage
1969 FHC
Silver

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
elliottS
United States of America

#6 Re: Dip Stick bottoms out before it is completely in

Post by elliottS » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:18 am

Checked the dip stick today and found the stick was at about a 15deg angle causing the tip to miss the hole in the baffle. Now reads correctly. Thanks. :thankyouyellow:
Elliott Stage
1969 FHC
Silver

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

phoenix
Great Britain

#7 Re: Dip Stick bottoms out before it is completely in

Post by phoenix » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:19 pm

Hi I am just fitting the dip stick tube its only very short ( about 2 inch) is that correct. After that I am going to put the oil in to a bone dry engine . Should I measure it in turn the engine over to get pressure the check on dipstick and use that as the correct level ?
S1 4.2 RHD Bryan

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#8 Re: Dip Stick bottoms out before it is completely in

Post by christopher storey » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:27 pm

If this is a newly built engine the best thing to do is to get a garden sprayer with perhaps 3 pints in it , plug it into the oil gallery running along the right side of the block at filter level ( you wil probably need to make up a connection for this - there are three or four blanking plugs to the gallery, and then pressure feed the engine at perhaps 5 lbs/sq.in until you can see oil appearing at the camshafts . Then fill the engine conventionally with the balance of your 3 pints , and a further 11.5 pints making 14.5 in all, and that should give you your full level

Just for clarity - these are Imperial Pints, not US

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic