Parts - Same part? 25% more!

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
johnben
Great Britain

#1 Parts - Same part? 25% more!

Post by johnben » Mon May 13, 2019 6:41 am

Hi Folks after my brake failure I am now at the position to source parts, using the master cylinder as an example I find I can pay £195 or £150 for this item. I know of the saying 'you get what you pay for' but this is not true in all circumstances. Does anyone know if the cheaper product is the same or the same quality or am I just paying for the name of the bigger company. Both products include VAT and have similar postage.

John

Series 1 2 + 2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Parts - Same part? 25% more!

Post by mgcjag » Mon May 13, 2019 7:14 am

Hi John.....if the parts are from the same supplier then ask them the difference...what maker etc.......shopping around you can always find exactly the same part/make at different prices......."as original" in my opinion is usually a better choice than "after market"....there is know way of telling just on price...you have to ask more questions or read the description/ technical spec.....or even ask on here..anyone purchased an xxxxx they can reccomend..Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bob.
Great Britain

#3 Re: Parts - Same part? 25% more!

Post by Bob. » Mon May 13, 2019 8:07 am

Hi John,
I went for the more expensive UK manufactured Lockheed products rather than the cheaper replicas made in China. Can't comment on any actual quality differences but picking up on your query on your other thread, the servo came radially aligned spot on to pick up the original brake pipes.
Bob
Bob
'71 S3

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AshM
Great Britain

#4 Re: Parts - Same part? 25% more!

Post by AshM » Mon May 13, 2019 11:24 am

John

Have you considered having your original parts restored? As others have said, original parts are generally superior to replacement.

I have had all of my brake and clutch master cylinders refurbished at 'Past Parts' during the winter and am delighted with the results. They re-line the cylinders in Stainless Steel which should give them another 50 years! Completely refurbished and restored.

Not cheap but the work is very impressive and, as I say, I am delighted with all of mine.

You'll find them online. Just a thought...

cheers
Ash

PS Should have said absolutely no involvement with the company. Just a satisfied customer.
Series 2 FHC 1970
1R 20607

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#5 Re: Parts - Same part? 25% more!

Post by PeterCrespin » Mon May 13, 2019 2:59 pm

johnben wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:41 am
Hi Folks after my brake failure.....I find I can pay £195 or £150 for this item. I know of the saying 'you get what you pay for' but this is not true in all circumstances.
Indeed. There are plenty of circumstances where you could very easily pay two different prices from the same shop in successive weeks - it’s called ‘re-stocking’ or ‘special offers’ etc.

One option is to research every purchas to the max, pay the lowest price you can find and cross your fingers on quality. Another is to develop a relationship with a vendor and save time looking for a few quid and building a two-way loyalty that will survive the odd hiccup.
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
johnben
Great Britain

#6 Re: Parts - Same part? 25% more!

Post by johnben » Sat May 18, 2019 6:26 pm

Hi Folks
Thanks for all the advice, the stainless steel inserts were tempting but I don't think I have enough years left to get their full value.
I ended up going to SNG for a variety of reasons.

John Series 1 2+ 2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnetype
Great Britain

#7 Re: Parts - Same part? 25% more!

Post by johnetype » Sat May 18, 2019 8:30 pm

The important thing for this part is that it's a TRW one. The David Manners part at £155 is labeled as such on their web site and mine from them was a TRW part so that's the one to go for.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic