Wipers won't stop

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
gehawe
Germany

#1 Wipers won't stop

Post by gehawe » Sat May 18, 2019 5:22 pm

We went on a fantastic tour this weekend. From the Stuttgart Area down the Black Forrst into France. Stayed at Ribeauvillé over night and then over the "Small Ballon" and "Big Ballon" with nearly zero traffic. :bigrin: :P

On the way back, (Black Forrest again but onother track) we we were hit by the weather - heavy rain. We put up the roof and the wipers on. When the rain subsided, we tried to switch off the wipers, but no success. I can switch it on fast, it will go faster, but in "off-mode", they are still running. Tried to switch ignition off in the park position, but as soon as ignition is on, wipers move again.

Could it be the switch at the dash board or rather the parl switch of the wiper motor?

By the way: The E-Type in the Vosges - It's a dream! Narrow curves, super engine sound, little traffic, good roads .... Highly recommended! :swerve:

Greatfull for any hint

Gerhard
Home of the Blue Lucy - Series 3 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#2 Re: Wipers won't stop

Post by Gfhug » Sat May 18, 2019 5:45 pm

Gerhard, can you tell us which series your car is, wiring changes with series (add it to your signature at the bottom)
Can you easily remove the switch and check the connections against the wiring diagram to see if the switch shows correct continuity in each position?

Good luck

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#3 Re: Wipers won't stop

Post by cactusman » Sat May 18, 2019 5:53 pm

I would suspect the park switch....
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mark Gordon
United States of America

#4 Re: Wipers won't stop

Post by Mark Gordon » Sat May 18, 2019 6:14 pm

Coincidentally, I went out for a test run of my new tires today. I have been having a similar problem with my wipers and since I only drive in the rain if I'm caught unawares, I had disconnected the wiper motor to stop the wipers from constantly running. Before I went on the run today, I reconnected the motor, but it wouldn't run at all regardless of the panel 'switch position. Then, after driving for about 5 minutes, the blasted thing started running again and wouldn't stop, again regardless of switch position. I tried adjusting the parking switch and the only effect that it had was to change the wiper speed from slow to slower (slow was with the adjusting knob in the full clockwise position). Nothing would make the damned thing stop unless I pulled the center wire to the motor. Any ideas on what gives?
Mark

67 OTS 1E14988, 2015 Camry XSE

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
gehawe
Germany

#5 Re: Wipers won't stop

Post by gehawe » Sat May 18, 2019 6:57 pm

My car is a late series 3, brought by the original importer from England to Germany.

Thank you

Gerhard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#6 Re: Wipers won't stop

Post by Gfhug » Sat May 18, 2019 8:16 pm

Gerhard, most electrical problems take a lot of time tracing the individual elements. Please take the switch out and check each part. If that is ok, then you can look at the park switch in the motor. Unfortunately, this can be the problem of needing to eliminate each part of the circuit to find which is at fault.

Sorry

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

madjack4
Great Britain

#7 Re: Wipers won't stop

Post by madjack4 » Mon May 20, 2019 8:47 pm

Hi your problem will be the park switch in the wiper motor i had the same problem 2 years ago at the time i could not buy a park switch for the etype s3 when i looked at it it reminded me of a old mini switch so i ordered a mini park switch off ebay spot on the motor does not need to be removed just take the plate off the top and fit it carefully
Regards Rob
Rob 1972 s3 roadster
Aston Martin DB9 Volante

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
gehawe
Germany

#8 Re: Wipers won't stop

Post by gehawe » Tue May 21, 2019 10:34 am

Hello Rob,

Thank you!
I asked an experieced classic car garage and they have the same opinion.
They did'nt tell me about the Mini-switch though. Do you have a specification or a name to look for to identify the Mini-switsch?

Best regards from Germany (with very British weather)

Gerhard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
gehawe
Germany

#9 Re: Wipers won't stop

Post by gehawe » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:39 pm

Hello Rob,

You were right. It was / is the park switch. I got one and tested the function by connecting it without fitting it - the function was there. The wipers stopped as soon as the pin of the switch was pressed into the housing.

I tried to install it but destroyed the switch!

What do you mean by "take the plate off the top"? The top connector?
Do you have any recommendations, how to install the dammed switch?

The switch must be installed by sliding a metal bracket (or spring) into a slot and at the same time, a pin should find it's position. First, I bent the pin :scratchheadyellow: , then I lost the bracket :scratchheadyellow: :roll: :helpsign:

Best regards

Gerhard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
gehawe
Germany

#10 Re: Wipers won't stop

Post by gehawe » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:24 pm

Just to finish this thread - The wiper works again. :seeingstars:

All in all, I ordered 6 switches (they are quite cheap), as I did not know the exact specification. I destroyed 2 until I got the 3rd switch into the right position. It is true: The Mini-switch or the Landrover-switch - it's all the same.

During the installation trial of the 2nd switch, I lost the metal bracket of the switch inside of the gear box. That made the gear wheel not going back. I had to take out the whole motor with gearbox and take the gearwheel off. If you do this, make sure to secure the levers with a wire. If you loose the leavers inside of the dashboard, you are in trouble.

I had a spare wiper motor but did not need it.

Next project is the blocked :bigrin: washer pipe.

Best regards

Gerhard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Geoff Green
United States of America

#11 Re: Wipers won't stop

Post by Geoff Green » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:50 am

Glad you have correct functioning wipers. Please let us know which of the six were correct by part number. Thanks in advance.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Polse7317
France

#12 Re: Wipers won't stop

Post by Polse7317 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:42 pm

Hi Gerhardt , for your washer pipes, don't use compress air......or with a very low pressure, the risk is to separate the hose from its terminal location..... and then.... you must have very little hands.... to insert the hose to the washer nozzle.
:thumbdown:
I have done that mistake and i have dismantled the wiper mechanism to fit the hose i the right palce... :hammerdrill:
Yves, happy XKE 63 fhc , w113 280sl owner
Looking for a OTS 4.2 serie 1....! :scratchheadyellow: and now have found a fhc xk 140 :lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
gehawe
Germany

#13 Re: Wipers won't stop

Post by gehawe » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:06 pm

@ Polse: Thank you! Will try to follow your advice.

Here are the details for the switch:

Bought 2 switches each via EBAY (so indicated price is for 2 switches). Both sellers are in the UK and shipped very fast. If I would have the problem again, take my advice: buy 2, as there is a high probability that you will have a problem during installation.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic