Camshaft bearing failure 4.2

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
nefematic
Germany

#1 Camshaft bearing failure 4.2

Post by nefematic » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:03 pm

What could have caused the bearings to look like this?

I have aquired this xj6 engine „with minor valve issue“, this is what we found after taking the head of yesterday (2hrs!).

I‘m fixing this one as a interim engine for my E-type 1970 OTS. The original engine needs RR.

Thank you for your opinions. What I noticed on disassembly was silicone used on the cam covers had lost some parts of itself to the cam valleys. Might that be the cause and would that render the engine toast? Underneath the #2 bottom cam bearing the hole is clogged. I‘ll try to pull that up and find out what is is. The cam itself seem to my novice eye to be OK. The reason we pulled the head (thanks davidsxj6!) was #5 exhaust valve seems to bee stuck and or bent.
Martin Scherz
Late S2 1970 OTS US LHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

politeperson
Great Britain

#2 Re: Camshaft bearing failure 4.2

Post by politeperson » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:43 pm

These bearings almost never fail as they should run in a bath of engine oil.

In the case of lack of oil, everything else will have failed first (or should have).

The head may have been starved of oil if the feed was blocked. This is pretty unlikely and I have only seen it once after DIY tampering.

If the head is warped due to overheating, the cam could cause uneven pressure on the end cam bearing, leading to rapidly accelerated wear and overheating as shown.

Check both sides of the the head for straightness.

Some warped heads have had the mating surface milled flat, but the cam bearings may still be out of alignment.
Its true, but Enzo never said it
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Durango2k
Germany

#3 Re: Camshaft bearing failure 4.2

Post by Durango2k » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:26 pm

I would think it possibly stood still for a LONG time on old oil. This contains acids, which then eat holes in the soft metal.

Carsten
Jag E '66 S1 2+2, 74’Citroen DS 23 Pallas iE, 73’ Citroen SM 3.0, 54’ Citroen 11 BL, 71‘ Velosolex, 88‘ Unimog U1650

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Moeregaard
United States of America

#4 Re: Camshaft bearing failure 4.2

Post by Moeregaard » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:15 pm

I'm inclined to go with Carsten's theory, as this appears more corrosion-related than a case of accelerated wear due to lack of oil. From the photos, it appears to be from an engine that was laid up after many miles.

As James mentions, premature bearing wear can often be attributed to the cam bearings being out of alignment, usually due to having the head skimmed and without checking the align bore prior to reinstallation, but I'm not seeing this here.
Mark (Moe) Shipley
Former owner '66FHC, #1E32208
Former owner '65FHC, #1E30036

Planning on getting E-Type No. 3 as soon as possible....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Durango2k
Germany

#5 Re: Camshaft bearing failure 4.2

Post by Durango2k » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:33 pm

There are no marks in line - shape like ————-.

What we see is dots, singular, roundish.

This means it was a local damage, nothing to do with rotation. This leaves.... acid.

Carsten
Jag E '66 S1 2+2, 74’Citroen DS 23 Pallas iE, 73’ Citroen SM 3.0, 54’ Citroen 11 BL, 71‘ Velosolex, 88‘ Unimog U1650

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
nefematic
Germany

#6 Re: Camshaft bearing failure 4.2

Post by nefematic » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:40 pm

Thank you for the replies. The crater does look more like corrosion. I‘ll have alignment checked and order new bearings. Also check oil feed lines. I‘ve taken out the inlet camshaft, no funny marks on that side. Once the bottom is open the main bearings will have to checked as well.

Martin
Martin Scherz
Late S2 1970 OTS US LHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic