Rear boot lid aperture seal

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Malc

#1 Rear boot lid aperture seal

Post by Malc » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:55 pm

I’m making progress re-fitting the (new) interior to my S1 2+2 but I am confused about what appears to be a plastic seal around the rear door aperture (SNG call it a ‘boot lid aperture plastic finisher’). I’m fairly certain that there was nothing around the aperture when I stripped it but it appears that there should have been this plastic trim covering the lip and tucking under the trim inside. From what I understand, it is a bit of a bugger to fit and you have to cut and glue it and even then it only looks half decent. It is also generally not available from any of the main suppliers. The alternative seems to be making it out of vinyl. However I wonder if anyone has found a stock rubber trim supplied by someone like Woolies or CH Baines might fit - they both seem to do rubber that fits the profile of the ‘lip’ etc although before asking them for a sample, I wondered if anyone else had encountered/overcome this problem.
Malc

Series 1 2+2, 1968 Blue exterior, grey interior

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Rear boot lid aperture seal

Post by mgcjag » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:28 am

Hi Malc...this may help..from similar topics below.....Steve http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13184
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#3 Re: Rear boot lid aperture seal

Post by rswaffie » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:22 pm

Hi Malc,
I did this for the first time last year and found it not that tricky to fit. I found that it was best to heat up the trim to make it as pliable as possible and trial fit using tape along the straight edges. The curves at each of the four corners is where you need to take some time. Some cut notches (‘v’) into the flange to help form it round the curve, but I didn’t need to as it was quite pliable and the high temp contact adhesive held it nicely. I used clamps at the curves whilst it dried.

Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Malc

#4 Re: Rear boot lid aperture seal

Post by Malc » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:56 am

Hi Richard - thanks for that. Where did you get the seal from? None of the main suppliers seem to have it in stock although Martin Robey quoted two weeks although I’m not sure they knew for certain.
Malc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ChrisC
Great Britain

#5 Re: Rear boot lid aperture seal

Post by ChrisC » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:27 am

Its distinctly possible that I have that piece of trim. I imported it from the USA a few years ago when I was rebuilding my car then decided that it was too much of a pain to fit and used ordinary vinyl instead. I will take a look in my spares tonight. From memory it was black. I will let you know if I find it
1964 FHC 4.2
Etype restoration blog http://connor.org.uk

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#6 Re: Rear boot lid aperture seal

Post by rswaffie » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:12 pm

Hi,

If Chris C can't find his trim, I got mine from Hutsons as part of a complete interior seals kit for the 3.8 fhc.
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ChrisC
Great Britain

#7 Re: Rear boot lid aperture seal

Post by ChrisC » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:49 pm

Nope sorry, I cant find it - I have either thrown it away or filed it somewhere I am not looking... Naturally as soon as you find a supplier, it will be a matter of moments before I unearth it :(
1964 FHC 4.2
Etype restoration blog http://connor.org.uk

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Malc

#8 Re: Rear boot lid aperture seal

Post by Malc » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:10 pm

As a matter of interest, I’ve just got one from SNG and it is rubber and was pretty easy to fit, with a few snips here and there.
Malc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#9 Re: Rear boot lid aperture seal

Post by rswaffie » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:01 pm

:yellow:
Nice one! It’s always more satisfying to do it yourself.
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic