Sump oil levels - pictorially !

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
44DHR
Great Britain

#1 Sump oil levels - pictorially !

Post by 44DHR » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:48 pm

Following on from my recent post “ “Dry” Engine Oil Capacity ? “ which produced some interesting information and dimensions, I thought I would - (for fun) - use that information to try to envisage the actual oil levels in the sump - which in itself has produced some interesting points.

Using the Cross sectioned view of the engine from certain Workshop Manuals, by drawing a line along the centre line of the dipstick, this line comes exactly into the centre line of the bottom of the sump. Who knew that ! From the previous referenced post I had measured the distance from the top of the block where the dipstick enters to the bottom of the sump to be 11 and 3/8 inch. By knowing the dipstick measures 9 and 3/4 inch from the bottom of the dipstick to the dipstick cap, I could calculate the dimensions relative to the Jaguar Cross section drawing. By knowing the relative positions of the 3/4 inch long hash mark on the dipstick, gives an indication of where the oil could be within the sump with the following observations.

The red line is the level of the bottom of the dipstick hashing. Interestingly, that is still within the sump baffles, but of more interest to me is that the blue line is the mid point of the hashing is exactly on the top of the sump baffle which makes perfect sense - typically Jaguar to get that correct ! Note how low the oil pick up and basket is within the sump baffles. Logically, any oil above the sump baffle could be prone to surge on forward/backward motion of the oil, so the green line which is the top hashing is perhaps emphasising any oil at that level is above the baffles and should be the absolute maximum - as you can see the proximity of the crank lobes which definitely should not get near the oil in the sump. The green dimension should be 7.87 inch, rather than 7.85 inch, but I’m not changing it now !

Still, just a bit of fun to wrap up my sump posts !
Cheers,
Dave
Last edited by 44DHR on Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Rose
1967 Series 1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Sump oil levels - pictorially !

Post by mgcjag » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:53 pm

Great detail Dave....thanks for sharing.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#3 Re: Sump oil levels - pictorially !

Post by Gfhug » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:20 pm

:yeahthat: That’s very useful and enlightening, Dave.
Can I just ask do you mean Green not Red as the top of the hash marks? Leaving that aside a great bit of work.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
44DHR
Great Britain

#4 Re: Sump oil levels - pictorially !

Post by 44DHR » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:16 pm

Thanks Geoff - all corrected now,
Cheers,
Dave
Dave Rose
1967 Series 1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Allrand
South Africa

#5 Re: Sump oil levels - pictorially !

Post by Allrand » Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:12 am

Interestingly I commented on a similar topic on the JL site. I would think that the top & bottom oil levels (the hash marks) would be the same for all 6 cyl (Jag) engines regardless of sump shape, depth or capacity. Is this true? I meaured my 3.4 MkVII against my 3.8 E-type and they were the same. So why are there different dipstick lengths? The only thing that would change that is different block castings which change the dipstick perch level.

Randall Botha
'64 3.8 fhc & '51 Mk 7

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic