’nother problem - rear hatch bracket

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Malc

#1 ’nother problem - rear hatch bracket

Post by Malc » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:58 pm

It’s the easy (supposedly) ones that floor you.....the rear hatch support bracket is the problem this time in that I can’t get it to position itself properly! It just won’t install at the right angle. It seems pretty obvious where it goes - two screws through the bracket into the bottom of the hatch (where it came out) and the lower ‘triangular’ bracket should, presumably, just screw into the inside of the hatch sill. But the triangular bracket is not at the right angle. Am I missing something here or just plain daft (or both)? Can someone please send me a photo of the mountings of their rear hatch bracket? Does the lower triangular bracket screw direct into the rear of the sill or it there another mounting bracket that I have forgotten. It’s the ones of which you don’t take photos that are the buggers (presumably because you think they are obvious) - the front triangular chrome cant rail plates were the last ones but thanks to the Forum, they are now snugly in place !
Malc

Series 1 2+2, 1968 Blue exterior, grey interior

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: ’nother problem - rear hatch bracket

Post by mgcjag » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:01 pm

Have a look here post No4...might help http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13734
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jeremy
Great Britain

#3 Re: ’nother problem - rear hatch bracket

Post by Jeremy » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:43 pm

Malc, I believe yours is the same as mine, i.e. the later hinged prop.....here's mine as it was originally before dismantling:

But that rear section of bodywork below the hatch opening was completely rotten so was replaced...and the hatch support didn't line up any more when I got to reassembling. So rather than trying to bend the support, I made up a wedge-profile shim from finest beech for that lower bracket to get it to sit at the right angle, and that now sits behind the trim panel. Sorry, no pic of the shim...

Jeremy
1967 S1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Malc

#4 Re: ’nother problem - rear hatch bracket

Post by Malc » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:42 pm

Hi Jeremy - thanks for that, it is the same as mine. What I can’t understand, it came off so why won’t it go back on again?! I have not altered the bodywork although I have replaced the interior and the panel behind the lower aperture. But as far as I remember, I took nothing more off than I put back in i.e. just a new panel which clips in. I’d be interested to know if anyone else has had a similar experience.
Malc

Series 1 2+2, 1968 Blue exterior, grey interior

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic