V12 Ignition Timing

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
gsleyland

#1 V12 Ignition Timing

Post by gsleyland » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:19 am

Have a 73 V12 imported from the US last year. I've owned it since 94. Have installed the later ignition from Barratts. The car was set in the US at 6 btdc with the vacuum off, but the original handbook says 10 btdc with vacuum off and 4 atdc at idle. Also have a shop manual which reccommends 12 btdc. Given that I'm now running it on 97 unleaded in the UK what is the best setting for starting/running. I have posted this in the V12 section also. Thanks for any input. Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

alfi

Post by alfi » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:56 am

Hi Steve, I too run on Barretts new ignition set up, I set my timing at 12 btdc and the car seem's to run fine on 97 octane, although I need to give it to someone to get the final settings sorted out, having never driven another E-Type I feel there is a bit more power to be gained. After going as far as I could with the engine set up following installation of re-built engine I surrendered it to a large modern Jaguar dealership so they could give it that final tweat, after paying ?110.00 per hour Im not impressed and still believe it has more to give, good luck Alfi.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

e-bygum

Post by e-bygum » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:06 am

Hi Alphi
Are you running with vac. retard or is it plugged?
If you still have the retard is the 12BTDC set with it disconnected?
Pete
Pete
'71 S3 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

alfi

Post by alfi » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:09 am

Steve, set with vac off at 12btdc and re-fitted once set. Alfi.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
gsleyland

Post by gsleyland » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:32 pm

Hi alfi:

Thanks for the advice. Will set it once this snow quits. How long does it take yours to warm up for throttle response. Mines been in warm weather and takes about three minutes on choke b4 I can use the accelerator.

RU in the bucks and herts club. I'm in Aston Clinton. Regards Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

alfi

Post by alfi » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:14 pm

Steve, I run mine on choke as little time as possible only a few minutes, I also keep the rev's to a minimum until she's nice and warmed up. I have throttle power at all times though! No to Hert's & Bucks. All the best Alfi.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic