What front oil seal leak ???

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
dal2.0litrefrogeye
Great Britain

#1 What front oil seal leak ???

Post by dal2.0litrefrogeye » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:45 pm

Hi all , since changing my oil and filter a couple of weeks back and re filling with a measuring jug the correct amount , and also ive now been driving the car more ???? Spiritedly :bigrin: it would seem my front crank oil seal leak is no more , i must add with messured amount of oil in the engine the dip stick shows just over half , annnnd the dip stick is the correct one , any thoughts ? Regards confused but slightly pleased of Orpington
Its a way of life not a hobby
Darren . 64 4.2 modded 69 4.2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#2 Re: What front oil seal leak ???

Post by abowie » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:07 pm

Personally I've had nothing but trouble with the Teflon lip seals leaking although I'm the first to say that it might just be me.

Last couple of engines I've done I've put on the rubber ones and so far no leaks. Given that most cars in the world use them I'm hoping that they'll be OK.

You can replace the seal in situ. You need to drop the sump and you will need to trim back the edges of the retaining lip on the bottom of the timing cover. You should also replace the seal runner, especially if you intend putting a Teflon seal on. This can be tricky to remove.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
dal2.0litrefrogeye
Great Britain

#3 Re: What front oil seal leak ???

Post by dal2.0litrefrogeye » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:18 am

Cheers for you advice on changing seal , and what seal works best . But my quandary is , has anyone else had a seal stop leaking after using the car " properly " and filling with the correct amount of oil,
Regards Darren

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: What front oil seal leak ???

Post by mgcjag » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:54 am

Hi Darren...considering you engine is a fairly recent rebuild l wouldnt expect it to leak oil unless however it was overfilled.....how much extra are we talking about.....its not uncommon to here on the forum that others who have too much oil also leak and filling with the correct measured amount has reduced the leaks....also less likely to leak with regular use
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#5 Re: What front oil seal leak ???

Post by Heuer » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:13 am

Have you got an effective crankcase breather? If not pressure in the block can push out or distort the seal. Happened to my rear seal because the engine was producing a lot of power but we paid little attention to the breather, leaving the single breather venting to the road a la early 3.8. A double breather and twin pipes were required and no problems since.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
dal2.0litrefrogeye
Great Britain

#6 Re: What front oil seal leak ???

Post by dal2.0litrefrogeye » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:51 am

I think it initially leaked because it had sat for a year very much stashed away in "hobby corner " at work , and also when i drained off the oil from the full Mark on the dipstick it was a good litre to much , as far as crank case breathing I've got that covered with the large Dwnnis welch modded breather coming off front of cam case/ front of head and I also made a breather from the distributor loction as I'm not using a distributor , these two hoses collect in a catch can and then a hose goes from the catch can to the air filter plenum so any pressure is being drawn , as an aside the catch can does not collect any oil / there is no oil being blown by ,
So I suppose as long as the oil leak has stopped I won't go " fixing" it ..... yet :roll:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

politeperson
Great Britain

#7 Re: What front oil seal leak ???

Post by politeperson » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:00 pm

I have had the stock and newer teflon front seals. The stock seal leaked a little bit.

The only time I had no leak was when I fitted a teflon seal and retained the oil slinger.

You are not supposed to keep the oil slinger on with the teflon seal, however I did and it worked.
Its true, but Enzo never said it
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic