Clever instrument panel trick

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
abowie
Australia

#1 Clever instrument panel trick

Post by abowie » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:15 pm

My trimmer may have been sniffing glue for over 30 years but he still has a few tricks.

To make folding down the centre dash panel easier, he puts rivets through the 2 central holes between the legend and the chrome strip and only fits the 2 outside screws. Remove these screws, remove the legend and you can fold the panel down without having to remove the whole centre console.

I have embellished this idea by making knurled heads for the two screws so they can be removed by hand. Works a treat!
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

H7OB
Great Britain

#2 Re: Clever instrument panel trick

Post by H7OB » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:36 pm

Great stuff, many thanks Andrew, a handy tip as I try to improve my fit of centre console to floor console!

Btw never underestimate the creative benefits of sniffing contact adhesives! :lol:
Paul
'68 Series 1.25 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#3 Re: Clever instrument panel trick

Post by PeterCrespin » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:59 am

Er, the instrument panels folded down easily enough when the cars came down the line. They still do on any car maintained or re-trimmed to factory spec.

The only time I’ve had trouble is when I (or a PO) have used too much sound or heat insulation around the tunnel or console, or not fastened the tunnel cover and/or centre console low enough. Any one (or two, or all three) of these errors result in the radio console sitting too high to clear the fragile legend strip. I’d also be a bit nervous of riveting brittle plastic, although with care I’m sure it’s doable.

Of course nobody wants to peel back nicely-applied Dynamat/Koolmat or even the jute under plush new carpet, but if the car is over-trimmed the panel doesn’t fold down..So, is it better to fix the cause or do a work-around? Something to think about if you’re tempted to buy 3/4” jute instead of 1/2”, or whatever...
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#4 Re: Clever instrument panel trick

Post by Heuer » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:05 pm

I have used these very successfully for some time:
http://www.shear-loc.com/8thumbscrew.htm

I tapped the holes and put rubber washers on to make sure they did not vibrate loose.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#5 Re: Clever instrument panel trick

Post by christopher storey » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:49 pm

Like David, I too have used the knurled thumbscrews . No need to drill or rivet the plastic, and the whole thing is off within 15 seconds, and can be replaced in about 30 seconds

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jeremy
Great Britain

#6 Re: Clever instrument panel trick

Post by Jeremy » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:29 pm

You do have to be careful with that fragile legend strip. On my car, the left hand end had been snapped off at the screw hole when I bought it...possibly by some passenger's shoe. But, oh, my delight during the grim process of scraping the slowly composting underfelt off the crumbling floor panel, to find the missing piece buried in the mess....
Andrew, clocked your new XJS avatar... 8-)
Jeremy
1967 S1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarkRado
Austria

#7 Re: Clever instrument panel trick

Post by MarkRado » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:07 pm

As Peter said. :wink:
After retrimming my car, I realized that the instrument panel would not fold down. I had to cut and remove some flintcote and felt and cut the carpet under the horiz console panel more precisely. The legend strip still touches the radio console- just.
Mark
1963 OTS 880436

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ETTony
Great Britain

#8 Re: Clever instrument panel trick

Post by ETTony » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:11 pm

I used plumbing washers with a selftapper, good grip and vibration proof.
After retriming my radio consol, I need to remove the strip, no worries.
Tony in Devon
1967 Series 1, 4.2, OTS, RHD, Black.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JerryL770
Great Britain

#9 Re: Clever instrument panel trick

Post by JerryL770 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:11 am

PeterCrespin wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:59 am
Er, the instrument panels folded down easily enough when the cars came down the line. They still do on any car maintained or re-trimmed to factory spec.

The only time I’ve had trouble is when I (or a PO) have used too much sound or heat insulation around the tunnel or console, or not fastened the tunnel cover and/or centre console low enough. Any one (or two, or all three) of these errors result in the radio console sitting too high to clear the fragile legend strip. I’d also be a bit nervous of riveting brittle plastic, although with care I’m sure it’s doable.
Ah!!! So that's why my instrument panel is difficult to fold down. Thanks for the advice Peter.
Jerome Lunt
1970 S2 FHC - Dark Blue, Red Interior, MX5 Seats
2008 MX-5 NC PRHT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic