Space saver spare wheel

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
mgcjag
Great Britain

#1 Space saver spare wheel

Post by mgcjag » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:07 pm

Hi All...anyone have any thoughts on a narrow space saver type wheel with a splined hub (E type)...as some of you are aware im building a C type replica...the boot space is very tight, a thinner wheel would be great.....this is the boot space im looking at the spare completely fills it (borrowed photo).Im looking for ideas....thanks....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tom W
Great Britain

#2 Re: Space saver spare wheel

Post by Tom W » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:00 pm

The C-type never had a boot, just a huge fuel tank and a spare wheel compartment. Are you using the correct 16 inch wheels, or 15 inch?

A space saver is only going to save on tyre width, not overall diameter. C-type tyres are pretty thin as standard (6.00x16 I think). To go thinner, you’ll need to be able to find a suitable tyre, and work out what extra space that gives you, but I suspect you’ll only find an inch or two of unusable space above the spare. If you have a puncture, you’ll still need to be able to accommodate the wheel you’ve removed, which means you’ll need to relocate elsewhere in the car whatever luggage you’ve now displaced.

If you want a wheel, someone like MWS or Turino may be able to custom make something. Maybe a better option would be to get a couple of spare inner tubes and some expanding foam spray? If you get a flat, use the spray to get to the nearest tyre fitter and get them to swap in a spare tube. Most places will be able to fit tubes, but very few will have anything in stock, hence it’s worth carrying your own spares.
Tom
1970 S2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: Space saver spare wheel

Post by mgcjag » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:46 pm

:bigrin: :bigrin: :bigrin: ..you know what Tom its one of those things iv been over thinking...Too fixated on trying to save space...it totaly passed me by that i would have to put the flat back in the boot space :banghead: Im useing 185r16....i already have a spare but like the photo it fills the boot space will just have to go with it....Cheers....Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tom W
Great Britain

#4 Re: Space saver spare wheel

Post by Tom W » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:22 pm

You’ll soon get good at packing and travelling light!
Tom
1970 S2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ysmalkie
Poland

#5 Re: Space saver spare wheel

Post by ysmalkie » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:20 pm

Steve,

I have the same problem on my XK120. I simply store the tire deflated.. I have a foot pump though! ;-)

Tadek
Tadek

e-type S1 3.8 FHC - in restoration phase...
Jaguar XK120 OTS
Austin-Healey 100 BN2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mgcjag
Great Britain

#6 Re: Space saver spare wheel

Post by mgcjag » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:39 pm

Hi Tadek....does it make much differance...the tyres are quite solid and hold their shape....Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#7 Re: Space saver spare wheel

Post by PeterCrespin » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:14 pm

If you want originality, I can tell you where to get that original style spare wheel holding clamp arrangement. Trouble is, it requires you to stash the wheel 'outside up'. So unlike the E you can't even fill the 'dish' with tools and small jack; you have to try and stuff things under as you slide the wheel in.

Congrats on going for 16s, as that massively affects the look. Just as well you're going for all the same size tyres. An idiot who stares at me every morning brushing his teeth, went the 'macho' route and fitted 6.50x16s on the back wheels, forgetting that they only really do/did that for short circuit races where they doubtless don't even carry a spare. Muggins, having made his choice, made his boot lid slightly bigger to accommodate the hunky 6.50 (good) but now has to carry a spare that will be no more use than a space-saver (bad), depending which size of tyre punctures. Which is worse - spoiling an LSD by running odd size rears, or fighting wayward steering/braking due to odd-size fronts? Ho hum...
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mgcjag
Great Britain

#8 Re: Space saver spare wheel

Post by mgcjag » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:45 pm

Hi Peter...no where like original but should look quite good...went for curly hub painted 60 spoke.....was looking today for hold down clamps so yes your info would be appreciated.....yes realise wheel will have to sit outside up.....in the photo i posted above are those clamps the original type.....Cheers...Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jeremy
Great Britain

#9 Re: Space saver spare wheel

Post by Jeremy » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:04 pm

Have you got any photos you can show of your C Type project Steve? I'd love to see how it's going....or I guess I should be looking on the "C type forum"...assuming one exists?
Jeremy
1967 S1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mgcjag
Great Britain

#10 Re: Space saver spare wheel

Post by mgcjag » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:10 pm

Hi Jeremy...yes there is a forum...a few of us started it a while ago for Replica Jags its on an invited basis only and has not taken off much yet.....my build is slow its a retirement project....have a look at this post and follow the instructions....Steve viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14687
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#11 Re: Space saver spare wheel

Post by 288gto » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:07 pm

Hi Steve,

I've had a look at your build thread on Replijag, it looks really impressive. I like the attention to detail especially.
As regards the space saver, another option I thought of would be to use something like the splined centre hub from a Minilite to attach a modern slim space saver wheel. Admittedly you would still have the problem of storing the flat.

Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mgcjag
Great Britain

#12 Re: Space saver spare wheel

Post by mgcjag » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:41 pm

Hi Simon..I like that center piece...my build thread is mainly there to help others who are building Realm replicas...unfortunatly there are a few useing it but not adding content of their own...so iv stopped posting for a while till they start to chip in.....Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#13 Re: Space saver spare wheel

Post by malcolm » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:05 pm

Can you go the new car route and take a repair kit? Some good ones available quite cheap for tubeless, or are you on tubes? You could get either the air compressor and sealant type, or the plug type.
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mgcjag
Great Britain

#14 Re: Space saver spare wheel

Post by mgcjag » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:16 pm

Hi Malcolm...yes thats an idea im on tubeless tyres....however the last two flats iv had were both quite large and in the sidewall close to the tread..this was on my daily drive....im mainly driveing country lanes so sidewall damage isnt uncommon....so really need a spare.....cheers...Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#15 Re: Space saver spare wheel

Post by chrisfell » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:14 am

The problem with a space saver wheel isn’t obvious. Sure the tyre will be smaller and the handling will be compromised, and the car will have to driven carefully to a tyre depot for a replacement/repair. The problem is what do you do with the full size wheel and tyre you take off? Owners of Porkers with different size front and rear wheels were supplied with a bag to put the wheel in so that they could drive the car to the tyre depot, with the wheel safely strapped in the passenger seat. Presumably, the passenger would have to walk! My S2000 has room in the tiny boot for either of its differently sized wheels, but not if I have been shopping for anything more than a single tin of beans.

Given that many of us fit tubes on our wire wheels with their colander like rims and hubs, wouldn’t a professional standard tube patching kit, an electric tyre pump and tools to remove and remount a tyre be an alternative?
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mgcjag
Great Britain

#16 Re: Space saver spare wheel

Post by mgcjag » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:35 am

Hi Chris...all good points but been mentioned in previous posts....Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#17 Re: Space saver spare wheel

Post by 288gto » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:42 pm

Hi Chris,
chrisfell wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:14 am
........wouldn’t a professional standard tube patching kit, an electric tyre pump and tools to remove and remount a tyre be an alternative?
It all depends. Perhaps not on a cold night in torrential rain on the hard shoulder of a busy motorway. :lol: :wink:

Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic