@ post car lift points

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Fspp369
Great Britain

#1 @ post car lift points

Post by Fspp369 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:34 pm

Members. I have a 4 post lift and a two post lift but the S3 has never been on the 2, having heard various theories about the good and bad reasons for using a 2 Post lift,I am not sure if I should go ahead and use the 2. Please try and put this one to bed for me please,…. Is a 2 Post out of the question?
Peter {XKE V12HE efi}
XKRS
RR Phantom 3 1937 Sedanca de Ville.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: @ post car lift points

Post by mgcjag » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:55 pm

Hi...Visit any decent classic Jag restoration workshop they will have far more 2 post than 4 post......it is possible if the rear irs mounts are damaged that the irs could drop but its still held by the propshaft and radius arms ..I suspect this may be your concern.......a gearbox jack under the IRS should solve any worries especially it the car is to be left on the lift for any period of time....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#3 Re: @ post car lift points

Post by Gfhug » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:28 am

But if you don't like the two poster, I'll take it off your hands no charge :lol:
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ALAN COCHRANE
Great Britain

#4 Re: @ post car lift points

Post by ALAN COCHRANE » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:28 am

I have what I feel is the best combination-a four post lift with a moveable hydraulic jacking beam. It has a mechanical lock on it so can be used safely as a sort of super axle stand. The beam has two large extendable pads which can be located to support the car at a variety of jacking points.
In addition I made a heavy duty tray to fit between the rails-two electricity pole steel crossarms bolted together-which are spaced apart so two axle stands can sit inside them.
This set-up allows for all four wheels to be removed at once, if required, while still retaining the ability to raise and lower the car for access.
The main advantage of a four post lift is not having to worry about a shifting centre of gravity when removing a major item such as the engine/gearbox.
Most 4 post lifts will accept a jacking beam so it might be worth looking at this option.

Cheers

Alan
Alan Cochrane

1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnetype
Great Britain

#5 Re: @ post car lift points

Post by johnetype » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:37 pm

Clearly a 2 post lift isn't "out of the question" since folks on here and many restorers and service centres use them.

That said, I bought a 4 post lift specifically for my E type and I wouldn't be comfortable having it on a 2 post lift because of the strain put on the rear suspension rubber mounts and there's at least one video on youtube of them letting go dramatically when an E type is on a 2 post lift. Secondly there's the challenge of finding suitable places to place the arms of a 2 post lift under the body. I'm not sure 2 post lifts were common when Jaguar designed the E type so the potential vulnerability of the rear suspension with the car on one probably wasn't considered.

Given there's no job I've found that you can't do on an E type on a 4 post lift with a cross beam jack (including removing the rear suspension assembly) and you're fortunate to have both, I'd stick with using the 4 post lift.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Fspp369
Great Britain

#6 Re: @ post car lift points

Post by Fspp369 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:31 am

The debate continues....
There 4 poster I have has a pair of jacking beams which I do find useful but the space available on a 2 post is attractive.
Peter {XKE V12HE efi}
XKRS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Geoff Allam
Canada

#7 Re: @ post car lift points

Post by Geoff Allam » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:15 pm

I love my 4 poster. Access underneath is a bit less open than a 2 poster but the plus for me is it is more idiot proof and it doubles as a massive workbench and/or storage area by adding 4 sheets of plywood across it. I have not found a job yet that is not possible with it vs a 2 poster. It all depends on your requirements.
Geoff Allam
67 series1 ots under restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Fspp369
Great Britain

#8 Re: @ post car lift points

Post by Fspp369 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:52 pm

You can store an entire new kitchen worktops, appliances, plumbing stuff, sinks, and enough wood laminate for a 3 X 6 m floor on a 4 post whilst sheltering a timid XKR-S, but you can’t lift the body off a Range Rover except with a 2 poster. The only problem with a 2 as far as I can see is the state of the locking system for the saddle extensions, there has been a safety notice issued by the HSE about some 2’s, no doubt in the light of the accident videoed on the internet.
Does anyone have an idea of the CofG foe a V12 efi Series 3?.
Peter {XKE V12HE efi}
XKRS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#9 Re: @ post car lift points

Post by mgcjag » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:15 pm

If you have a 2 post lift thats mentioned in the HSE safety notices then you need to fix the problem....useing any type of vehicle jack/lift needs to be fit for purpose.......You should be fully competant on useing your lifting gear weather it be a 2 or 4 post......Even 4 posts can collapse....one did at a local Ford main dealer recently.....
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic