5spd conversion kits from NZ (soliciting feedback)

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
bfeng

#1 5spd conversion kits from NZ (soliciting feedback)

Post by bfeng » Mon May 10, 2010 7:49 pm

Does anyone have 1st hand experience with these guys?
The url gives a very good impression of a very professional and experienced operation. The point is .. in the USA, rebuilt T5 transmissions are widel available for a relatively low cost (well under $1000), and I'm therefore thinking of buying a kit and saving myself a little bit of money (which will go back into other E-type parts).

http://www.conversioncomp.co.nz/results.php?Menu=13
John Feng

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Mon May 10, 2010 9:03 pm

John

As far as I am aware a Medatronics JT5 is about $5,000. A base T5 from a Camaro or similar will cost you $750 s/h and a Medatronics upgrade kit will be $2,500. Add shipping and possibly getting someone to do the rebuild and the price will still be around $4,000 US.

No doubt Paul C will give us a definitive answer.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
bfeng

Post by bfeng » Mon May 10, 2010 10:12 pm

Heuer wrote:Joh
No doubt Paul C will give us a definitive answer.
That is exactly my thinking. Paul's kit is clearly the path of least resistance, offers the greatest chance of success, and saves some real money.

As with other new E-type owners, I'm struggling with the choice of a 3.07 rear end conversion ($1200 to 1400) or the 5spd conversion (less than $4k). Like many of you, I like the noise old cars make and in particular I don't expect 1st gear to be quite or to be synchronized. But it'd be great to have a quiet 3rd/4th gear and a cruising gear for those times when we want to take the E-type on more than a day-trip.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting to note that someone else (other than the well known UK sources) is providing DIY kits (maybe they are rip-offs of Paul's work?).

P.S. I really appreciate this website as it works in a complimentary way to j-l.com for me.
John Feng

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

5speeds

Post by 5speeds » Mon May 17, 2010 9:35 pm

Thanks,

No they are not rip offs of my work. These kits are based on Toyota transmissions. There are an abundance of used units such as the ones required for this kit in New Zealand and Australia. It would be a used box, not an exact fit, but people seem to like them. The downside to any of the transmissions not using a T5 or MT75 based system is parts.( Broadsport or EtypeUK is MT75) In the states the transmissions and parts are not available and very costly. Having rebuilt many Supra units, I can tell you that a novice won't be able to tackle a trans rebuild and overhaul parts are very expensive.

5speed conversions in general tend to be geographical. Lots of Ford Transits in the UK and scrap yards, so making a casting for an Etype would seem logical. Lots of Toyotas in New Zealand and you'll find that box in a great deal of conversions there.
Thanks,

Paul

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic