Drivers door lock

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
FHC1964
France

#1 Drivers door lock

Post by FHC1964 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:13 pm

Pulling my hair out with this problem :
Door lock works, lock / unlock with key no probs, soon as I slam the door shut, the push button no longer works, as if the door was locked with the key. I have had it apart many times, adjusted the latching mecanism everything possible, run out of ideas, is there something in the lock barrel that wears? Are replacement parts available?

Thanks you for your advise, ideas
Cheers
Mark
1964 FHC 890632

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#2 Re: Drivers door lock

Post by cactusman » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:30 pm

Think sng sell most of the bits incl New barrels and keys....must get around to mine...they don't lock at all :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

paulsco
Great Britain

#3 Re: Drivers door lock

Post by paulsco » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:46 pm

Hi Mark,

This little bit isn't broken by any chance?

Imagepictures 336 by paul scott, on Flickr

Imagepictures 337 by paul scott, on Flickr

Imagepictures 339 by paul scott, on Flickr

It sits on the back of the lock holding the barrel etc. it is very brittle and when it breaks it has a simmilar effect to what you are describing. You can get them from SNG.

http://www.sngbarratt.com/ProductDetail ... e3ab35&l=7

Paul
65 Series 1 FHC, 68 Jaguar 340

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
FHC1964
France

#4 Re: Drivers door lock

Post by FHC1964 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:05 pm

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the very clear photos. No that part is still intact! I think I'll order a new barrel kit and see if that changes anything.
On the subject of door handles, has anyone used those neoprene gaskets sold on fleabay that go between the handle and the door skin?

Cheers
Mark
1964 FHC 890632

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mark Gordon
United States of America

#5 Re: Drivers door lock

Post by Mark Gordon » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:54 pm

FHC1964 wrote:Pulling my hair out with this problem :
Door lock works, lock / unlock with key no probs, soon as I slam the door shut, the push button no longer works, as if the door was locked with the key. I have had it apart many times, adjusted the latching mecanism everything possible, run out of ideas, is there something in the lock barrel that wears? Are replacement parts available?

Thanks you for your advise, ideas
Cheers
Mark
You don't say which door (both?) has the problem. On my car, lifting the interior passenger door handle locks the mechanism which can then only be unlocked by using the key in the exterior push button. The door can be opened from the interior by pushing down on the interior handle, but cannot be opened from the exterior. Using the key to unlock the door from the outside resets the lock mechanism so that it can be opened from inside or outside. It's kind of an annoying feature because I never lock my OTS. If someone wants in to steal something, I'd rather not have to pay for a new stolen item plus a new hood after they used their switchblade knife to cut an access hole in my perfectly good hood. And locking the doors when the hood is down seems kind of pointless. Passengers are constantly locking the door from the inside because I forget to tell them to push down to open the door when they want to exit. :cussing:

Edit: Too early in the morning and the coffee hasn't kicked in yet. Forget what I just posted; your topic heading clearly indicates that the problem is with the driver's door and my answer only applies to the passenger door on my car. :oops: However, it does make me wonder if perhaps your driver's door has had a passenger door lock mechanism installed? :scratchheadyellow:
Mark

67 OTS 1E14988, 2015 Camry XSE

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#6 Re: Drivers door lock

Post by mgcjag » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:03 pm

Hi Mark..have you looked in the maintenance manual...exploded diagram of tbe door lock and fitting/adjusting... it might help.....also in tne knowledge base section
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

111MLR
Great Britain

#7 Re: Drivers door lock

Post by 111MLR » Sun May 10, 2020 6:11 am

Morning Mark,

Looking k at this post did you get a solution? My
1963 OTR is the same on both sides, once unlocked you get between one and five openings before the door locks itself.

Fortunately the roof is always down, but it is a slight irritation I must admit.

I will look at the little plates Paul suggested too, and try the up and down handle movement. My car is a US car so wonder if the right and left vary as the UK left and right!

Thanks all, Matthew.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

politeperson
Great Britain

#8 Re: Drivers door lock

Post by politeperson » Sun May 10, 2020 8:17 am

I had exactly the same problem on a car that hadn't been used for many years and was full of dust.

The problem turned out to be the internal mechanism of the door handle lock was not clean enough.

I disassembled it, meticulously cleaned it, getting into all the little corners and reassembled it with graphite spray (from the lock smiths). It all came back to life after that.
Its true, but Enzo never said it
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jeremy
Great Britain

#9 Re: Drivers door lock

Post by Jeremy » Sun May 10, 2020 3:40 pm

There are a lot of places for the mechanism to wear, and the resulting slop may defeat your best attempts at precision adjustment to make the whole bag of tricks work properly. I laboured for ages over the door handles, new barrels, cleaning, graphite lube, etc, but the locking was still hit & miss. Eventually I gave up and bought an expensive new pair of handles from SNG.
Jeremy
1967 S1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic