Engine hoist load leveller

Technical advice Q&A

rfs1957
France

#41 Re: Engine hoist load leveller

Post by rfs1957 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:17 pm

Good question.

I didn't do the maths *, but which ever charts you look at, at the recommended NGK tightening figure of 30Nm or 22 ft.lbs for 14mm plugs, it appears that we are already putting a figure of between 2.100 lbs and 2.800 lbs stretch on what is effectively a bolt.

I think that suggests we apply a one-tonne pull on the plug thread every time we tighten it.

So I'm happy with it, although lifting on just one might feel like tempting providence !

* - I cheated by approximating around the 9/16" x 18 TPI shown on these tables, other ones and tabulators I looked at seemed to be of that order of magnitude too.
Rory
3.8 OTS S1 Opalescent Silver Grey - built May 28th 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rfs1957
France

#42 Re: Engine hoist load leveller

Post by rfs1957 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:34 pm

The most horrible aspect of these cheapo engine-cranes, and many other unspeakable hydraulic devices from the Far East, is the fact that the bleed or lowering valve is generally operated by the end of the operating arm.

I see that nothing much has changed in 40 years since my first jack ; you are expected to get this slotted tube over the T-piece, and adjust the bleed by rotating a bit of 20mm pipe two feet long.

They must really think we're stupid. Really stupid.

Here's an easy tweak.

Remove the T-valve and put a bolt in its place to stem the leak.

I wasn't wholly confident how the nose of this did the business, and it was surprisingly well machined in comparison with the rest of the junk construction, so I elected to modify it rather than make another, longer, one.

Knock out the cross-piece, and bore a 5mm hole down the valve about 6mm deep.

Turn a nose on a similar bolt - I used an M10 socket-screw with a bit of parallel shank.

Push the two together with a bit of flux and Sif-bronze them together.

Add a suitable knob.

Should be a million times easier to operate, and also easier to dose more gently.
Rory
3.8 OTS S1 Opalescent Silver Grey - built May 28th 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnetype
Great Britain

#43 Re: Engine hoist load leveller

Post by johnetype » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:00 pm

rfs1957 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:34 pm
The most horrible aspect of these cheapo engine-cranes, and many other unspeakable hydraulic devices from the Far East, is the fact that the bleed or lowering valve is generally operated by the end of the operating arm.

I see that nothing much has changed in 40 years since my first jack ; you are expected to get this slotted tube over the T-piece, and adjust the bleed by rotating a bit of 20mm pipe two feet long.

They must really think we're stupid. Really stupid.
Rory, as ever a lovely well executed mod to something that's been annoying many of us for years but in fairness to our Far East suppliers, I suspect that all they did was copy a poor bit of UK or European design on a cheap piece of hydraulics from 50 years ago. :bigrin:
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AshM
Great Britain

#44 Re: Engine hoist load leveller

Post by AshM » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:20 am

That’s the thing about Rory’s projects.

I always end up thinking “why the hell have I put up with that over the decades...”.

:banghead: :thankyouyellow:
Series 2 FHC 1970
1R 20607

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic