Cooling fan removal

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
colinevans
Great Britain

#1 Cooling fan removal

Post by colinevans » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:20 am

Morning all

I need to change on of the fan motors on my S2. The manual says undo the 6 setscrews and remove the cowl complete with fans. Am I missing something here as I can’t see how it can come out past the bars of the space frame? Even if I take the top hose off It doesn’t look like the filler neck will let me lift it enough to get it over the bars?
Many thanks
Colin
Series 2 OTS, 280SL

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MSM
Great Britain

#2 Re: Cooling fan removal

Post by MSM » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:28 pm

Hi Colin

Would it be possible to remove just the single fan assembly whose motor you need to replace? The three legged motor mounting bracket is bolted to the cowl with 3 screws and nuts. You may be able to access the nuts inside the cowl through the fan blades. I can't get at my car at present to check but I think it may be possible.

HTH
Mike

1969 S2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
colinevans
Great Britain

#3 Re: Cooling fan removal

Post by colinevans » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:06 pm

Hi Mike

I did wonder about that. The blades are set about an inch inside the cowl and there is hardly any room behind the motor but it may just be possible with a bit of manoeuvring. I think it’s worth a try, otherwise is looks like the rad is going to have to come out.
Thanks for the advice.
Colin
Series 2 OTS, 280SL

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: Cooling fan removal

Post by mgcjag » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:25 pm

Hi Colin....i havent just removed the cowl and fans....but like most jobs on an E type it could just be very fiddly and needs you to get the part in the exact position to remove it.....some jobs look impossible but with a bit of gentle manouvering can be done......anyway....it needs to come out one way or another.....all the best.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tom W
Great Britain

#5 Re: Cooling fan removal

Post by Tom W » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:31 pm

They will come out without removing the rad. It’s a while since I did it, but I think it was with the top hose disconnected, and the radiator tie brackets removed so the radiator can be tipped forward.
Tom
1970 S2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
colinevans
Great Britain

#6 Re: Cooling fan removal

Post by colinevans » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:57 pm

Thanks guys, as you say nothing is straightforward with an etype, everything fits precisely in its space!
I’ll try the tie bracket trick and top hose removal. Sounds like the best option.
Cheers!
Colin
Series 2 OTS, 280SL

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
colinevans
Great Britain

#7 Re: Cooling fan removal

Post by colinevans » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:41 pm

So Tom’s and Steve’s suggestions worked thsnks, top hose off and rad tipped forward and some manoeuvring- the fans scraped the rear of the rad slightly so fingers crossed there’s no damage.
Next question, is there a trick to getting the fan blades assembly off of the impeller? It looks like there may be a keyway, I don’t want to force them off unless that is only method. Thanks.
Colin
Series 2 OTS, 280SL

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic