BEST ENGINE OIL!!

Technical advice Q&A

Joes66
Great Britain

#21 Re: BEST ENGINE OIL!!

Post by Joes66 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:41 am

Chris
The problem with the semi synthetic quite apart from the fact the engine was never designed to run on it, once hot will be thinner than the 20 50 mineral oil
This can lead to lower oil pressure and especially on an older engine that has an amount of wear in the oil pump and other parts of the engine
These are all good reasons not to use it
The fact that you have decieded to go away from the manufacturers recommendation and have "got away with it" is no good reason to recommend it to others who may have an engine damaged by using it
It states quite clearly on the can its for sports/racing engines
Is your engine a sports or uprated engine?
These would be engines up rated possibly with modern big end bearings and pistons etc that would likely run fine on semi synthetic
And also its very likely new engines would be recently re built with new parts with little wear in them
So why would you use it in an older engine that was never designed to run on it?
If I was still working on classic cars and a customer gave me a car to service i would use the recommended oil
To do otherwise could land me in court or paying for a customers new engine
Always use what the manufacturer recommends is what I am saying
If you want to risk premature wear use something else
May take years to show its ugly head on a reasonably well maintained engine
1969 series 2 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

driver
Great Britain

#22 Re: BEST ENGINE OIL!!

Post by driver » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:26 am

Hi everyone,
I use morris classic engine oil.
Change it every 12 months.
Having had this chemically checked when i worked in the aerospace industry it was found to be more than
adequate.
And it is sold by SNG Barratt my prefered supplier.
The previous comment is 100 percent common sense!
v12 etype 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tom W
Great Britain

#23 Re: BEST ENGINE OIL!!

Post by Tom W » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:44 am

20-50 oil will be the same viscosity at temperature irrespective of whether it’s mineral, semi synthetic, or full synthetic. That’s one of the few things that is consistent across everything.
Tom
1970 S2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Red Kite
Great Britain

#24 Re: BEST ENGINE OIL!!

Post by Red Kite » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:22 am

I have used Castrol Classic and also Halfords in the past but decided to use Millers this time which arrived last week and now ready to change.

"Classic Pistoneeze 20w50 is a moderate detergent premium SAE 20w50 multigrade mineral engine oil. High quality solvent refined base oils with latest technology performance additives and shear stable viscosity index improver. It is specifically engineered for classic cars incorporating a modern filtration systems. It is formulated with ZDDP (zinc/phosphorus).

Use as received for engine lubrication of primarily pre 1980 vehicles, both petrol and diesel, which were developed on the multigrade oils of their time. Meets API SJ.
"
Gerry.
S2 FHC 1R20003

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

DavidH
Great Britain

#25 Re: BEST ENGINE OIL!!

Post by DavidH » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:28 pm

Its an interesting subject however I'm not sure that I agree with some of the comments...... however this is just another opinion.
I have no relationship with Millers but remember talking to them a couple of years ago about their Classic Sport Semi Synthetic 20/50 and am pretty sure that they told me that they had developed this originally around the XK engine.
There is nothing on any of the cans that I have that advises that it is for performance/racing engines only and in fact they advise the following, which I have pasted directly from their website:

Semi-synthetic multigrade engine oil for classic sports cars
Classic Sport 20w50 is a high performance SAE 20w50 semi synthetic multigrade engine oil. Made with enhanced performance additives and shear stable viscosity index improvers in synthetic and mineral base. It is formulated with full ZDDP (zinc/phosphorus).
Ideally suited to Aston Martin, Jaguar, Ferrari, Lotus and similar high specific output engines, yet suitable for all discerning owners who want the best possible oil for their classic engine. Meets API SJ.
https://www.millersoils.co.uk/products/ ... t-20w50-4/

I unfortunately do not have a lot of expertise in this area, but would suggest that if anyone has any doubt with the above that they talk directly with Millers for clarification.... and if you do, it would be very interesting to post any repsone they give.
David
1963 S1 3.8 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Pete G
Great Britain

#26 Re: BEST ENGINE OIL!!

Post by Pete G » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:06 pm

mgcjag wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:22 pm
Well lets turn this around a bit.....who can name a 20/50 oil that isnt suitable....Steve
I received this from Castrol today in response to me asking them why they specify XL 20/50 when Jaguar say GTX 20/50 in the S3 V12 ROM:

"[The original 70’s GTX was a 20w/50 mineral oil

GTX now is a synthetic modern oil and not suitable for the E Type so to stop any confusion we have gone back to the original reference of XL20w/50

Kind regards,

Trevor
Trevor Allman
UK Sales Manager]"

Castrol GTX 20/50 would seem to answer the question of unsuitability!
Pete G(formally e-bygum)
1971 S3 2+2 OSB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Andyp_67E
Great Britain

#27 Re: BEST ENGINE OIL!!

Post by Andyp_67E » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:26 pm

That is interesting info. I have been using castrol gtx 20/50 in MGBs inc V8's through the 90's and in my E type for the last 20 years always changed anually. I usually buy it in 4l cartons when on a deal in Asda.
May need to re think and find a new Oil and source for this years change.
Andy
1967 Series 1 4.2 OTS
Leicester, UK

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

madjack4
Great Britain

#28 Re: BEST ENGINE OIL!!

Post by madjack4 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:45 pm

I honestly think this oil thing is a load of rubbish ive used semi synthetic 10/40 in my s3 etype for 7 years no problems i use same oil in my new goldwing and in my classic bikes engines. They still have plain bearings pistons rings camshafts n followers like always , its like saying we should still use dustpan and brush on a old carpet because thats what we used to use. We only do low mileages in our classics so we could run them on chip fat if we changed it regular just my opinion. On another note i have serviced a taxi mans seat alambra since new in 2003 it should have special knocker oil in it very expensive. It has had 10/40 semi in from new changed every 10,000mls its now done 550,000mls with no major engine problem
Regards Rob
Rob 1972 s3 roadster
Aston Martin DB9 Volante

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dodger
Great Britain

#29 Re: BEST ENGINE OIL!!

Post by Dodger » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:00 pm

FYI - About ten years ago i went over to Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil on my V8 Landrover 101.

It rattled a lot so went back to mineral. It wasn’t the bearings - it was the hydraulic lifters that made the noise

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#30 Re: BEST ENGINE OIL!!

Post by malcolm » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:03 pm

Normal mineral 20/50 is cheap, cheerful, easy to get hold of and what Jaguar recommend so I can't see why I'd go for anything else.
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic