Electrical part Identity

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Pianoman
Ireland

#1 Electrical part Identity

Post by Pianoman » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:37 pm

I am having problems getting my lights working again and I dont seem to have power going to the fuses. I wondered if this might be the culprit?

Donal
1969 E Type FHC Series 2 Unrestored Driver

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

david.coan
Great Britain

#2 Re: Electrical part Identity

Post by david.coan » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:56 pm

I very much doubt it could be. This is the 3aw relay that simply drives the ignition light only. Good luck with your investigations
David
1968 S1.5 OTS, ex USA converted to RHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mach2andy
Great Britain

#3 Re: Electrical part Identity

Post by mach2andy » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:01 pm

The external lights fuses numbered 1 2 & 5 are only powered when the side/headlight switch is on. Fuse 1 powers main beam, 2 powers dip beam & 5 powers side, tail, & number plate lights. Thought this might help with your investigation.
Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Pianoman
Ireland

#4 Re: Electrical part Identity

Post by Pianoman » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:19 pm

Thanks for that.... yeah im having no luck finding the source of the problems, as I said there is no power going to the fuse for the dipped lights. The parking lights, back lights work fine. If I hit the flashed headlights they work too but nothing from the dipped lights or headlights. When they were working, one evening they started to flicker and then died. I thought it was the old switch and replaced the main light switch but no luck
Donal

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Pianoman
Ireland

#5 Re: Electrical part Identity

Post by Pianoman » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:56 am

Progress Update
This is strange, Ive got power going into both side and headlight switches and the side lights work. When I put the meter to the feed for fuses 1 and 2 there is no power going into them. Is the power meant to travel from the switch into the fuse? Where does the wires when leaving the switches? Is it directly to the fuse board as in does it go to a relay behind the dash or directly to the fuse I guess is the question Im asking.
Thanks
Donal

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

david.coan
Great Britain

#6 Re: Electrical part Identity

Post by david.coan » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:33 pm

you ask about relays?? There are no relays on the main lights, unless your car has been modified.

I had assumed you were using the wiring diagrams that are in the Series 2 handbook, or in the knowledge section of this forum? viewtopic.php?f=16&t=700&sid=54315c33f9 ... 4f4e83b232, these wiring diagrams will answer your questions on the path of the circuits.
Last edited by david.coan on Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
David

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Pianoman
Ireland

#7 Re: Electrical part Identity

Post by Pianoman » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:40 pm

Thanks, I'll have a look at that but so far ive been hopeless at reading the wiring diagrams. I think its the cable that feeds the fuses as there is no power going into the fuse muchness passing through, hence my query at what and where from the fuses are fed.
Donal

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

david.coan
Great Britain

#8 Re: Electrical part Identity

Post by david.coan » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:19 am

You will see on the diagram fuses 1 and 2 are fed from the rocker switches for the lights. If your main beam flash is working as you say then i would suspect the dipper switch is faulty or if not then the rocker switches for the lights are faulty. The rocker switches are notoriously unreliable and remanufactured ones are often said to be poorer quality than originals, so they would be my prime suspect.
David

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic