Zeus Brakes

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
mikebryan
Germany

#1 Zeus Brakes

Post by mikebryan » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:11 pm

After eight years restoration work, I took my 1968 S1.5 OTS to our local MOT station to be
Tested / Assessed.

I need to point out that I live in Germany, the test is known here as TÜV which equates roughly to the UK MOT.

A big problem arose with the braking system.I have Zeus Caliper kits both front and back. The brakes worked perfectly on the rolling road test, however beceause Zeus is not known here, the testers refused to pass my car. This means I cant register / use it.

I know this is a very long shot but, we have several forum members here in Germany and I would like to ask if there is anyone who has had this problem and if they were able to resolve it.

I spoke to Zeus Classic Car but they could not help

Thanks

Mike

Münster Germany

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#2 Re: Zeus Brakes

Post by PeterCrespin » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:41 am

mikebryan wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:11 pm
After eight years restoration work, I took my 1968 S1.5 OTS to our local MOT station to be
Tested / Assessed.

The brakes worked perfectly on the rolling road test, however because Zeus is not known here, the testers refused to pass my car.
Unglaublich! Oder vielleicht sehr vorhersehbar ...

One wonders at a methodology which rigorously and objectively quantifies a safety-critical parameter, thereby conclusively proving excellent system functionality, and then immediately ignores the very data they have just collated. May Zeus strike them with lightning from Mount Olympus... :evil:
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#3 Re: Zeus Brakes

Post by abowie » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:58 am

Mein Hovercraft ist voll von Aalen.

Just put your old ones back on. Or can you present them with an engineer's report saying the parts are ok?

I'd also be concerned that if they won't register your car with the Zeus brakes whether you'd be covered by your insurance in the case of an accident.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AussieEtype
Australia

#4 Re: Zeus Brakes

Post by AussieEtype » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:12 am

How would a MOT tester know the brakes were not original in a obscure like an early e-type?
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS
1976 Series 2 XJ 12 Coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#5 Re: Zeus Brakes

Post by Heuer » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:39 am

Try a different MOT test station?
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

gehawe
Germany

#6 Re: Zeus Brakes

Post by gehawe » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:37 am

Hello Mike,

Here is what I would do: I would not try to bring the car to another MOT-station. I would rather bring the car to a good garage that knows the E-Type well, e.g. "Peters" in Roedermark (close to Frankfurt). And ask them to get the cat through the procedure. You might want to call them before and describe the problem.

1. The garage can tell you if your brakes have a chance to passe the MOT and how. The garage can also give you an honest feedback about the parts. I know that Peters have made a lot of modifications on vintage brakes.
2. The MOT-engineer that comes to the garage for the MOT knows the garage well and knows that they will not try to fool him. Most likely, he will not look so close at the car as if a car owner comes with an E-type to an independent MOT-station.

A bit more costly, but with good chance to get over and done with it.

Side information: In Germany, most garages have one day in the week, where a MOT-engineer comes to certify all vehicles that need to pass the MOT. Normally, it is in connection with a big service before.

I found that a good garage has a lot of solutions for a problem, where an ammateur like me is puzzled. E.g. as I wanted to get an adhesive number plate and our registration office would not grant it, I asked them and they had several solutions.

Best regards from the Stuttgart area :fingerscrossed:

Gerhard
Home of the Blue Lucy - Series 3 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mikebryan
Germany

#7 Re: Zeus Brakes

Post by mikebryan » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:29 pm

Thanks guys for all of your helpfull advice.

Und Danke Gerhard für deine imput. Es ist schon sehr ärgerlich wenn man die Tüv erklären will, ja ich habe die Bremsen eingebaut, weil die, eine deutlich beitrag zum Verkehrssicherheit sind. Und man kriegt als Antwort, ja Sie mußten die Alte Dunlop Typen einbauen, obwohl die in Performance, deutlich schlechter sind, aber die kennen wir doch .

Grüße aus Münster

Mike

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

david.coan
Great Britain

#8 Re: Zeus Brakes

Post by david.coan » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:38 pm

I have read before that in Germany brake pipes must be steel and not made from copper or alloy. Is it possible the tester objected to the brake pipes to the Zeus calipers rather than the actual calipers?
Hard to imagine a tester refusing to accepted calipers that Have pass the rolling road braking test. Good luck
David
1968 S1.5 OTS, ex USA converted to RHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mikebryan
Germany

#9 Re: Zeus Brakes

Post by mikebryan » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:34 pm

Thanks for that David. you are correct about the brake pipes, pure copper is " verboten" its considered to brittle. We have to use " kunifer" which is an alloy made from Copper , nickle and Iron. These are the brake pipes I used for the Resto.
It was the Calipers which were not acceptable.

Mike

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#10 Re: Zeus Brakes

Post by christopher storey » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:16 pm

Mike : does the tester know that Zeus are made by Coopercraft ? These are now pretty standard as the best replacement for Dunlop calipers which are no longer available as New Old Stock

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mikebryan
Germany

#11 Re: Zeus Brakes

Post by mikebryan » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:57 pm

Thanks Chris, ....I Didn't knpw that, it`s certainly a new avenue and worth exploring.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

neal herridge
Great Britain

#12 Re: Zeus Brakes

Post by neal herridge » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:42 pm

Zeus calipers are not made by Coopercraft they are two different firms.
I do know that Zeus had their brakes approved by Jaguar, & they have fitted them at Jaguar Classic.
Neal.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#13 Re: Zeus Brakes

Post by christopher storey » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:05 pm

Neil : Are you sure about that ? I feel sure that Coopercraft were advertising them as made by them after the move to Dunkeswell, not least because they ( Coopercraft ) in 2008 provided me with all the spares for overhauling my Zeus calipers, which dated from about 1993

Edit : well , I have looked at both websites and they are certainly at 2 different addresses ( Dunkeswell and Sidmouth ) . Both appear to have started in 1990/91, and I have a feeling that they were together, but split - hence the move to Dunkeswell 10 years ago, as shown on the Zeus website

I am sorry if I have misled anyone

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#14 Re: Zeus Brakes

Post by chrisfell » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:46 pm

Curious. I hears, or more precisely, read perhaps on this site some years ago, that Zeus originally made calipers for Coopercraft, before marketing them in their own name.

I have Zeus calipers biting vented discs. They were not a bolt on fit. The vented rotors required some fettling to make them run true and the calipers required spacers to mount on the S2 uprights on my S1 E, which Zeus refused to supply. So I made my own. I could quite happily grind the Zeus logo off each caliper as a result.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

neal herridge
Great Britain

#15 Re: Zeus Brakes

Post by neal herridge » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:54 pm

Hello Christopher.
Not to worry it just happened that I had been into Zeus last Friday.
They make a vast range of products for the classic car industry not just Jaguar most makes.
They have their own foundry & machine shop & make everything in house , which Coopercraft do not.
Its a very complicated story.
Both are good firms, but very separate .
Neal.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mikebryan
Germany

#16 Re: Zeus Brakes

Post by mikebryan » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:15 pm

You a correct Neal, I spoke to Coopercraft a few days ago they cofirmed that are not associated with Zeus.

I intend to try another TüV Station next week, but I fear they will be eqaually intransigent as the first.

Bottom line for me is that, I will have to shell out around £1000, to SNG, for a set of eight Single cylinder Dunlop calipers (which I Dont want or need) just to get my S1.5 through the TüV.

Zeus were Very helpful when I explained my Problem, they confirmed in writing that their Calipers were approved for my car, even quoting my VIN number on their certificate. However, this did not convince the tester. He started wimpering about some European Confirmation certificate which I had never heard of. I must admit that I started to get somewhat annoyed. I guess most Jaguar owners wo have rebuilt their cars, turning what was effectively a pile of scrap metal, into a Thing of great beauty would feel the same.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#17 Re: Zeus Brakes

Post by abowie » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:59 pm

mikebryan wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:15 pm
He started wimpering about some European Confirmation certificate which I had never heard of.
I can't believe that Zeus are not CE certified.

Your other option is to buy and fit a set of calipers from a 240/244 Volvo. They'll cost you a lot less than the Dunlops, are 4 pot 36mm pistons and being Volvo would pass. Plus they're made by Girling so essentially OE for Jags.

If you are thinking of doing this this PM me and I can talk you through it.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

neal herridge
Great Britain

#18 Re: Zeus Brakes

Post by neal herridge » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:52 pm

Mike.
Have you asked Zeus about their Jaguar approval I know Jaguar them selves have fitted some when they were doing restorations.
Neal.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mikebryan
Germany

#19 Re: Zeus Brakes

Post by mikebryan » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:25 pm

Hi Neal

Thats really usefull information. Will give them a call on Monday .

Again thanks

Mike

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

neal herridge
Great Britain

#20 Re: Zeus Brakes

Post by neal herridge » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:54 pm

Hi Mike.
Just had another thought which you would have to think about before telling the man with the clip board.
If you did buy new calipers from SNG or any one for that matter they may say Dunlop on them but they are not made by Dunlop.
The only way would be to get the old ones reconditioned.
Neal.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic