Speedo recalibration

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
tim wood
Great Britain

#1 Speedo recalibration

Post by tim wood » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:18 pm

I’m changing the diff on my car from 3.54 to 3.07 as such I need to recalibrate the speedo.
I know I can send the unit off and have this done but has anyone tried to do it themselves using maybe an internal speedo gearset from another model.

Just a thought - it can’t be that difficult to work on these?
Series 1 FHC purchased 40 years ago. Courted my wife in it.
Series 1 2+2 when the kids were small now sold.
Series 1.5 OTS in opalescent maroon, Californian car. My retirement present.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnetype
Great Britain

#2 Re: Speedo recalibration

Post by johnetype » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:25 am

The speedometer and odometer are separate. The speedo has fixed gears as such and you recalibrate the speedo by moving the pointer to the correct reading - which you've previously determined by using a GPS derived speed readout on the road.

The odometer does need its gearset changing. This article is one of several "on the web" which explains what to do.

http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/Smith-jaege ... repair.pdf

For my change from 3.54 to 3.07 I bought an ex Mk 2 Jaguar speedo that had very close to the correct calibration for the odometer to use the gears from that.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: Speedo recalibration

Post by mgcjag » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:06 am

Hi Tim.....the speedo has no mechanical connection between the drive cable and the indicator needle..a spinning magnet via the cable drive draws around a cup operating the needle.....the magnets become weak and depending where you take you speedo for re calibration the magnets are re energised to give a more precise (not acurate) speed reading across the speed range......as Tom says the odometer is geared.....moveing the actual indicator needle is possible but lots of trial and error but as far as im aware only one speed will be correct where you move the needle to .........Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Andyp_67E
Great Britain

#4 Re: Speedo recalibration

Post by Andyp_67E » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:02 pm

I would get in touch with Speedy Cables, They recalibrated and reconditioned a few of my previous MGB Speedos when I converted them to V8 spec using a higher ratio back axle. From memory you provide them with the number of turns of the speedo cable for one turn of the back wheel and the radius of the rear tyres. I poked the speedo cable through a piece of paper with a circle drawn on it divided up into 15 Deg sectors, stuck some tape on the inner for a pointer to count the turns, while an assistant looked at the rear wheel and told me to stop after one turn. Repeated a few times on the drive to get a consistent figure.
I sent the Speedo off and it came back correctly calibrated (Speedo and Odometer) and looked like new.

Andy
Andy
1967 Series 1 4.2 OTS
Leicester, UK

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#5 Re: Speedo recalibration

Post by abowie » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:38 pm

tim wood wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:18 pm

Just a thought - it can’t be that difficult to work on these?
It really is.

As Steve says the speedo works using a magnet. The faster it spins the more deflection you get. It is possible to alter the strength of the magnet, and by trial and error arrive at the correct needle deflection for a given cable RPM. But this is not an easy process.

To correct the odometer you need to replace the gearset, and they are NLA anywhere that I could find. You could cannibalize an odometer for a 3.07 diff I suppose but if you had one to start with you'de be more sensible just to use it.

Bottom line. Send it to Speedograph Richfield in Notts.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgman
Great Britain

#6 Re: Speedo recalibration

Post by mgman » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:39 am

I had my speedometer recalibrated at Richfields in Nottingham. They trade as Speedograph Richfield a very prompt and good service costing £55 Plus vat and postage. I changed the ratio to 2.88 from 3.54 which has improved the touring RPM, although living in Cornwall there is a bit more gear changing on local work.
Stuart

1969 e type 2+2
1932 MG Montlery replica
1936 MG TA
1954 MG TF

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#7 Re: Speedo recalibration

Post by christopher storey » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:34 am

:yeahthat:I have nothing but praise for Richfields : When my speedo gobbled itself up , making spectacular noises as it did so, they quoted me £70 for a complete repair. I paid, and when I got it back, the damage had not been as bad as first thought and they refunded me c.£20
Last edited by christopher storey on Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mich7920
France

#8 Re: Speedo recalibration

Post by Mich7920 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:22 pm

:yeahthat:
My 2 speedometer have been recalibrated at Richfields. Change mph for kmh and change also ratio 3.07 on the both.
Great job, communication and price.
Mich
Michel
1965 E Type FHC - On the road / 1963 E Type OTS - on the road after Angus Restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
tim wood
Great Britain

#9 Re: Speedo recalibration

Post by tim wood » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:52 pm

Just got my speedometer back from Richfields . Quick service, great communication and very fair price.
Tim
Series 1 FHC purchased 40 years ago. Courted my wife in it.
Series 1 2+2 when the kids were small now sold.
Series 1.5 OTS in opalescent maroon, Californian car. My retirement present.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic