washer bottle help

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
malcolm
Great Britain

#1 washer bottle help

Post by malcolm » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:54 am

Hi all. The pump on my washer bottle is apparently working from the sound when you hit the switch, but doesn't seem to have enough oomph to raise the water more than an inch up the tubing. Only replacement I can see from SNG is for £111 for whole bottle inc. pump. Seems a lot for a little water pump. Anyone tried any alternatives?
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#2 Re: washer bottle help

Post by Gfhug » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:15 am

Malcolm, you can try dismantling the motor, clean it up and maybe re-magnetise it.
Is it full of dirt in the filter?
Or go down the route of fitting a modern washer pump for about £10-15. It won't look the same but it'll do the job as my car has one.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
malcolm
Great Britain

#3 Re: washer bottle help

Post by malcolm » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:28 am

Hi Geoff, thanks for that. Actually, can't dismantle it. The casing is riveted together!
However, I seem to have fixed it.
I took off the tubing from the feed side, manually filled it with water, and blew it through the pump - I was wondering if it might need priming, have an airlock, etc. Anyway, reconnected it, hit the button, and it's now pumping like a good un.
Malcolm
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#4 Re: washer bottle help

Post by Gfhug » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:30 am

That’s interesting Malcolm, as I’ve dismantled two pumps and cleaned them up to make one working pump.

So long as you’ve fixed it, glad to hear

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
malcolm
Great Britain

#5 Re: washer bottle help

Post by malcolm » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:32 am

Yeah, think it's an original! Old lucas part. I've taken quite a few water pumps apart from garden features, fish tanks, etc. Can normally clean the magnet, clear the impeller and get things going. But this thing is not for taking apart!
Malcolm
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CoolCat
United States of America

#6 Re: washer bottle help

Post by CoolCat » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:06 pm

I also had a problem with the washer on my '69. The nice thing about this model is that there's a plastic cover which hides the actual pump. If you carefully disassemble the cover, you can remove the Lucas pump and fit a generic part from your local parts store. As long as it fits under the cap, nobody will know the difference. I'm not sure what's available on your side of the pond, so I don't have a specific model part or manufacturer to recommend. But bring it to your parts store (Halford's I guess?) and see if they have something that could be shoehorned into place.
cap.jpg
cap.jpg (32.96 KiB) Viewed 4750 times
Mike Frank

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
malcolm
Great Britain

#7 Re: washer bottle help

Post by malcolm » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:47 am

Thanks Mike! Looks neat. Although my pump is working well now after the priming.
Malcolm
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Monkeyfinger
Great Britain

#8 Re: washer bottle help

Post by Monkeyfinger » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:18 pm

Interesting, as I've just been working on a solution to improve the woeful performance of the Lucas screenjet pump for when my car returns from restoration. I had an old unit, and the motor internals were badly corroded in any case. I sourced a 12v submersible pump online for around 6 GBP, and design and 3D printed a small kit of parts to mount this onto the bottom of the existing washer bottle pump lid. I removed the Lucas motor workings and simply connected the new pump leads to the existing terminals. Everything is completely hidden from view. The Lucas pump is rated at 12.6 l/hr, and the new unit is 240 l/h, so my only issue could be too much flow - however, testing with a 12v battery shows that it looks to be a great improvement, but not over powerful for the existing system, so perhaps the quoted flow is a tad optimistic.
Attachments
washer.jpg
washer.jpg (46.39 KiB) Viewed 4626 times
Richard
- 1969 Series 2 OTS, family owned 40+ years

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Drive35
Great Britain

#9 Re: washer bottle help

Post by Drive35 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:12 am

Seem to have the same problem with the washers on mine. Pump runs, but not enough water coming through and I've already stripped & and cleaned the motor parts.
Has anyone swapped for this type using the WSB100 pump? Just wondered if it's much better and whether the old cover will fit over the pump as per Mike's suggestion?

Geoff
1970 S2 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tim wood
Great Britain

#10 Re: washer bottle help

Post by tim wood » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:33 pm

On my previous etype when the fitted pump failed as yours has I placed a generic pump behind the glove box and plumbed/ wired it in. No one would know and it worked successfully for years.

On my latest car I had the same issue but this time purchased a generic pump then bored a hole in the top of the washer bottle lid and placed the inlet and outlet below the lid but above the water. The pump motor then fitted beneath the original motor cover. So the pump was fitted vertically.

Looks as original unless you take the lid off and works fine. I found that the lid was just a bit to small to contain a complete pump.

I must say though I like the thought of a submerged pump.

Tim
Series 1 FHC purchased 40 years ago. Courted my wife in it.
Series 1 2+2 when the kids were small now sold.
Series 1.5 OTS in opalescent maroon, Californian car. My retirement present.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Richardhealey
Great Britain

#11 Re: washer bottle help

Post by Richardhealey » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:23 pm

On the subject of these water bottles, mine looks
like it can be rescued. The bottle and lid are scuffed and may need some gentle heat to ease some dents out, but overall it doesn’t look to scruffy. But rather irritatingly the little fitting that allows for the liquid to traverse the lid is missing. Anyone got a good idea of what to replace that with?
I bet there is something out there (aquarium related etc) that might do the job. Anyone been here before?
Cheers,
Rich
1969 series 2, 2+2... going for a full rebuild.. Gulp...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Drive35
Great Britain

#12 Re: washer bottle help

Post by Drive35 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:42 pm

Monkeyfinger wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:18 pm
Interesting, as I've just been working on a solution to improve the woeful performance of the Lucas screenjet pump for when my car returns from restoration. I had an old unit, and the motor internals were badly corroded in any case. I sourced a 12v submersible pump online for around 6 GBP, and design and 3D printed a small kit of parts to mount this onto the bottom of the existing washer bottle pump lid. I removed the Lucas motor workings and simply connected the new pump leads to the existing terminals. Everything is completely hidden from view. The Lucas pump is rated at 12.6 l/hr, and the new unit is 240 l/h, so my only issue could be too much flow - however, testing with a 12v battery shows that it looks to be a great improvement, but not over powerful for the existing system, so perhaps the quoted flow is a tad optimistic.
Are you up for producing more of your kits, Richard??? Could be plenty of customers if it works well, so put me down for one.
Geoff
1970 S2 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Robsan
Great Britain

#13 Re: washer bottle help

Post by Robsan » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:38 pm

perhaps the SNG plastic reservour bottles and caps are OK ? would certainly get over the scrapes and discolouration of original parts................... if that is acceptable ?

https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#/uk ... mbly/21070

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Monkeyfinger
Great Britain

#14 Re: washer bottle help

Post by Monkeyfinger » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:14 am

Are you up for producing more of your kits, Richard??? Could be plenty of customers if it works well, so put me down for one.
[/quote]

Geoff - I hadn't really considered this as more than useful information for others, but it's certainly possible. I could have rigged up the motor with cable ties and sticky tape, but I'm lucky to have a 3D printer and the necessary skills, so I though I'd try for a more engineered approach. If your interested, then by all means send me a pm and we can discuss. To be honest, it does need final testing on a car, and I'm a little way off that capability myself right now. However, I think this brushless submersible motor is significantly more capable than most of the standard style washer pumps, and also practically silent when running.
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Richardhealey
Great Britain

#15 Re: washer bottle help

Post by Richardhealey » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:06 pm

Robsan wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:38 pm
perhaps the SNG plastic reservour bottles and caps are OK ? would certainly get over the scrapes and discolouration of original parts................... if that is acceptable ?

https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#/uk ... mbly/21070
Hi Rob, if your answer was directed at me, then yes it would, however looking at the SNG site it seems the option they are giving is actually to by the whole unit for north of £100.
Cheers,
Rich

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
malcolm
Great Britain

#16 Re: washer bottle help

Post by malcolm » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:04 am

Yep, you have to buy the whole thing, which is why I first started looking form help to fix mine.
One issue I found was that the washer fluid can run back down the long tubing into the bottle, so the pump becomes air locked again. Now fitted a non-return valve, and all is fine.
Malcolm
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Joes66
Great Britain

#17 Re: washer bottle help

Post by Joes66 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:39 am

Hi Geoff
I have one if those lids on my washer bottle
Its ugly but works great
Having said that,its so ugly I am going to change it
May even fit the early glass one
Joe
1969 series 2 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Monkeyfinger
Great Britain

#18 Re: washer bottle help

Post by Monkeyfinger » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:02 pm

Richardhealey wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:23 pm
On the subject of these water bottles, mine looks
like it can be rescued. The bottle and lid are scuffed and may need some gentle heat to ease some dents out, but overall it doesn’t look to scruffy. But rather irritatingly the little fitting that allows for the liquid to traverse the lid is missing. Anyone got a good idea of what to replace that with?
I bet there is something out there (aquarium related etc) that might do the job. Anyone been here before?
Cheers,
Rich
Rich - I have 3D modelled and printed this part. If you're still after one, then by all means drop me a pm.(new part on the left!)
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Richardhealey
Great Britain

#19 Re: washer bottle help

Post by Richardhealey » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:33 pm

Wow Richard - Great! Will do. You’ve just saved an original water bottle for further use :yellow:

Many thanks!
Rich

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Drive35
Great Britain

#20 Re: washer bottle help

Post by Drive35 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:20 am

Big thank you to Richard (Monkeyfinger) for producing an alternative pump kit that fits inside the original S2 bottle & motor cover. It's been tested on my Series 2 LHD coupe and, with the added help of a non-return valve in the pipe near the bonnet hinge, gives a good supply of water out of the twin centrally mounted jets.

Geoff
1970 S2 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic