Indicator cancelling ring

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
kgnich
Great Britain

#1 Indicator cancelling ring

Post by kgnich » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:48 am

My first post ... I'm hopeful someone can assist me. I'm in the process of doing a complete mechanical overhaul of my recently aquired 1969 Series 2+2.

My challenge today is the steering column indicator switch (C28489) and how it is supposed to be attached to the column. The column is the later type with built in steering lock ... and the tapered bearings top and bottom. They are all in good condition and I have no play in the column bearings.

So my problem is:
The self cancelling plastic ring does not sit central on the column when tightening the two screws on the bracket - . I've attached photo's below to show my concern.

This is how it was when I got the car and I have a feeling something is missing. The plastic ring is cracked and needs repairing but somehow it just looks wrong.

I'd be grateful for any advice you experienced guys may have.

My thanks in advance

Graham

Image[/img]
This is the back of the switch with the attachment bracket

This is the collar that the switch was attached to - note the red band inside the collar - this looks like a non standard part to me - not sure what it is supposed to achieve.

This is the gap that just looks wrong to me - help!!

and side view of it bolted up
1969 4.2 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisvine
Great Britain

Post by chrisvine » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:16 am

Graham,

Mine is also offset although the gap is of the side where your thumb is in the picture. I'd not noticed it before but I agree it does look wrong.

I'm not sure what the red collar is so suspect it might be not original.

Good luck with the rebuild.

Chris
1969 S2 OTS, Elise S1

Restoration Blog : http://etype.chrisvine.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
kgnich
Great Britain

Post by kgnich » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:55 pm

Thanks Chris. That's very interesting that yours is similiar as I'd almost convinced myself that the switch assembly was the wrong part. I know that the Series 1.5 cars had a different steering column (not with the tapered bearings) and the part SNG list for that is the same as for the later Series 2. I wondered whether in fact a Series 3 switch would be a better fit for the late Series 2 - I know it has a plug on the end rather than bullet connections.

... haven't decided how to proceed yet!

I should really post some pictures of my rebuild for posterity!

Regards
Graham
1969 4.2 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
kgnich
Great Britain

Post by kgnich » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:10 pm

Chris,

Looked at it again this evening and screwed it up fully ... and yes the gap is on the other side now - so like yours. Um ... interesting. Maybe this is how they are supposed to be...

Graham
1969 4.2 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

kingzetts
Great Britain

Post by kingzetts » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:56 pm

I suspect you have the same problem I had with my '62.

You have one semi-circular bracket which is being used to hold the switch collar against the column. Try this. Turn that bracket round so it is between the switch collar and the column, and hold the two in place and see if the collar then seems to be in the right place. If so then its the same problem I had.

There should (I think) be a second semi-circular bracket. The two brackets together encircle the column, with a 2BA setscrew going through the missing bracket's ears, through the ears on the bracket you have, and into the switch collar. This creates a circular bracket around the column which then holds the switch in the right place.

In my case I simply fabbed up the missing bracket from a piece of aluminium bar of appropriate dimensions. Its kind of hard to explain in words but I don't have any useful photos to hand. I could probably put some photos together at the weekend if it would help.
John '62 S1 OTS (now sold)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
kgnich
Great Britain

Post by kgnich » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:23 am

Now that sounds very interesting. I haven't yet tried your suggestion, will do tonight, but I understand what you are saying. I only have the one half bracket but with two I think it will work as you say.

Thanks very much for explaining this.

Graham
1969 4.2 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisvine
Great Britain

Post by chrisvine » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:29 am

Graham

Just an observation - do you know if your indicator unit has been replaced?

Mine had been replaced however in the spare box of parts is what I believe to be the original. The replacement unit has the earth wire screwed at base of the indicator stalk.

Perhaps the offsetting of the indicator cancelling ring is as a result of the replacement unit.

Chris
1969 S2 OTS, Elise S1

Restoration Blog : http://etype.chrisvine.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
kgnich
Great Britain

Post by kgnich » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:48 am

Chris,

I'll have a look at the earth lead later (or perhaps you mean you can see it in my pictures above where it is screwed onto the arm) ... I don't have a lot of history with this car so don't know for sure if the switch has been replaced. However the switch doesn't look 40 years old so I suspect it has been replaced at some stage. (the chrome end for the horn justs looks too new to be original)

I was thinking originally that it was the wrong part ... but as has been suggested by kingzetts it may be missing one of the semi circular brackets.

I'll have another look tonight.

Cheers
Graham
1969 4.2 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic