Reaction plate bolts and other queries S1 4.2

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
phoenix
Great Britain

#1 Reaction plate bolts and other queries S1 4.2

Post by phoenix » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:57 am

Hi can anyone tell me the size of the bolts (looks like 1/2") that fix the reaction plate through the chassis .
Next I have a query regarding fitting the filter head to the block. The block has three hole at the bottom where the housing only has two with the centre one missing. This filter housing has a spin on conversion which I took off to make sure it was not hiding a bolt hole. Will this be ok with the centre bottom bolt missing.
Has anyone else fitted an oil warning light. I am converting oil gauge to non electric and I was thinking of fitting a warning light as well. I do not like relying on an electric type gauge. I am also missing the parts between the the gearstick and the box (I think there are two main parts) Does anyone know of a reasonable source apart from new for these parts. Over £200 new or £110 plus on Ebay each. We are a long way off yet but is it ok to fit 185 65 15 and not 185 70 15 tyres simply because of cost and choice . :questionmarks: :questionmarks:
S1 4.2 RHD Bryan

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#2 Re: Reaction plate bolts and other queries S1 4.2

Post by christopher storey » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:31 am

Bryan : if yours is an earlyish 4.2, say 1964-6 , then it is probable that you already have an oil warning light . It is, believe it or not, the ignition warning light on those cars ! You can tell by having a look along the oil gallery running along the right hand side of the block at filter level - if there is a pressure switch plugged into that gallery with IIRC a black/brown wire , then that drives the "ignition" warning light which goes out once oil pressure reaches about 10-15 lbs/sq.in

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
phoenix
Great Britain

#3 Re: Reaction plate bolts and other queries S1 4.2

Post by phoenix » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:44 am

This is virtually a new build from a big pile of bits with many of the special nuts bolts and washers missing.
Yes it is an early 4.2 and I will purchase a 15 lb oil light switch .This is a big project because it was stripped about 25 years ago and moved storage plus I have never worked on a Jag before.
S1 4.2 RHD Bryan

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: Reaction plate bolts and other queries S1 4.2

Post by mgcjag » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:51 am

Hi Bryan...both tyre sizes you quote are the wrong size...you should be looking a 185r15 which is a full profile tyre so in effect 185 80 r15......yes they are expensive.........yes the gear lever connections are expensive...make sure you get tne correct parts...there are a few variants that look similar but are different....i suggest you post in our wanted section....Steve
Steve
1969 S2 2+2 & Building a C type replica

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic