Torsion Bar removal

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
eddiecross
Great Britain

#1 Torsion Bar removal

Post by eddiecross » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:20 am

Apologies if covered before so please guide me to any previous posts...

Just checking options

Dropping out lower suspension A arms to replace bushes and clean/re-plate

The bolts holding the teardrop at the rear of the torsion bar to the reaction plate and the frame...
If I take the tension off the torsion bar (shock and anti roll bar links now removed) and remove the small bolt on the front of the A- Arm, can I tap it forward and slide it off and out?

That would save me removing the complete exhaust system just to undo the two bolts on the nearside that attach the teardrop to the reaction plate.

Thx
Eddie
67 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bfastr
United States of America

#2 Re: Torsion Bar removal

Post by Bfastr » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:27 am

well, you have to break the upper ball joint free so the lower arm drops even lower, then you can remove those two bolts at the back, move the teardrop thing forward off the splines, also make sure you remove the little bolt and nut at the front that goes thru to keep the TB from moving. Then if its a perfect world and all is right, the bar is pushed to the rear first, then it drops down and slides out towards the front.

But, if things are frozen in place you will be removing the whole lower arm assembly and finding a shop press to break the TB free. but thats a whole different can of worms

Also, be sure to mark the bars front and rear with paint, and or a punch or scribe so you know where they go upon re-install

OK, so I re-read your question, I missed your point, but no, the bar wont clear the front mount when the A-arm is low enough to release tension by coming out the front. SO, the tear drop thing has to be removed so the bar can then angle downward and come out under the A arm. I hope that makes sense.

I ended up removing the exhaust because even tho I could remove those bolts with a long extension I just couldnt get back in there to re-install.

Bob F

69 S2 E-type OTS LHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
eddiecross
Great Britain

#3 Re: Torsion Bar removal

Post by eddiecross » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:14 am

Thanks Bob. makes sense. Just wanted to confirm.
Oh well, removing the complete exhaust is good practice for when I drop out the rear subframe!

Wish I was back working on the Mustang.

Eddie
67 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic