Hood tie down straps BD20660 A Comedy of Errors!

Technical advice Q&A

ysmalkie
Poland

#21 Re: Hood tie down straps BD20660

Post by ysmalkie » Sun May 16, 2021 9:33 am

Yes, I second that...

The bright side is that SNG does listen (at least every now and then) but others do not even reply..

I sent a message over to one of the main metal panel manufacturers that the boot S1 floor drain holes are 1mm too small (the blanking caps do not fit and you have to re-drill them to make them right, which is a painful process after the car had paint)
The main floor drain holes are on the other hand too large (by about 1mm) - the blanking plugs are loose and fall out.
There was no reply from the seller at all...

Tadek
Tadek

e-type S1 3.8 FHC - in restoration phase...
Jaguar XK120 OTS
Austin-Healey 100 BN2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
288gto
Russia

#22 Re: Hood tie down straps BD20660 A Comedy of Errors!

Post by 288gto » Mon May 24, 2021 10:33 pm

Just to keep keen followers off this comedy of errors up to date.

When I thought things could not get any more comical, SNG Barratt stepped up their game.

As promised Julian got one of his staff to contact a different supplier, one they had used in the past to make up two new straps as a matter of urgency and ship them direct next day to me. The straps arrived and were indeed of a far superior quality to those seen in my earlier post with the rodent gnawed ends. One thing that did puzzle me though was which side the long one went on, the driver's side or the passenger side? Clearly these straps are handed as one is 15mm longer than the other.

Fortunately SNG Barratt's supplier had kindly left their details on the couriers label so that I could phone them for technical support regarding fitment.

They were ever so helpful and explained that as it was a rush job, somehow it had been over looked that I actually needed two the same length and that another pair would be made and dispatched asap. I reassured them that I understood and that they could take as long as was needed, I just wanted them right.

As promised another pair arrived this time the same length .

Rather than bother the supplier again, Julian or perhaps one of the SNG Barratt team could answer a quick question.

In order to remove the "lift the dot" end of the strap from the stud on the hood or on the rear bulkhead, it would appear that I have to first unscrew the strap each time from the hood bow. Is this correct?

Did Jaguar get it wrong when they positioned their "lift the dot" fastener with the dot on the end that needs to be lifted?

Keep up the great work Julian and thank you once again for all your help, but more importantly for the smile that SNG Barratt brings to my otherwise dull days. :lol: :bouncyyellow: :yellow:

I now have six SNG Barratt straps, some long, some short, some attacked by rodents and some that require partial dismantling to use. Julian, do I persevere, as you're almost there or would I be better purchasing a couple of bungie straps from Amazon? :wink: :lol:

Pic below of your latest strap ends and an original loaned by another forum member.
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#23 Re: Hood tie down straps BD20660 A Comedy of Errors!

Post by Gfhug » Tue May 25, 2021 7:22 am

Absolutely priceless

Simon, this does bring a smile to my face in that you at least seem to be able to smile yourself. But it speaks volumes for the quality control at more than one point in the supply chain.

It’s a good job they weren’t expensive :bigrin:

KBO

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
288gto
Russia

#24 Re: Hood tie down straps BD20660 A Comedy of Errors!

Post by 288gto » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:20 pm

Hi Julian,

I know you have been busy but other than a couple of "automated reply" emails I've not heard back from you or your team in almost a month now. I notice Toolstation have these on offer with 10% off at the moment. As per my previous question is it worth purchasing a pair rather than the various SNG Barratt straps in the picture above? Incidently another inaccuracy I have noticed is that the SNG Barratt straps are too wide to fit through the chrome bezels in the hood bow, is this deliberate? Any response greatly appreciated either on here or by email.

Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#25 Re: Hood tie down straps BD20660 A Comedy of Errors!

Post by Gfhug » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:24 pm

Well, at least those are blue to match your car :bigrin:
You know that what I’ll suggest is the best solution and a possible money spinner :wink:
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JulianBarratt
Great Britain

#26 Re: Hood tie down straps BD20660 A Comedy of Errors!

Post by JulianBarratt » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:37 pm

Simon,
I thought we had sent you a replacement set a month or more ago. We certainly changed our supplier of these to ensure future supply was improved.

I will chase up tomorrow and advise...
MD at SNG Barratt Group
Enthusiastic owner/driver of a couple of complete E-types as well as a warehouse or two of parts...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
288gto
Russia

#27 Re: Hood tie down straps BD20660 A Comedy of Errors!

Post by 288gto » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:15 pm

JulianBarratt wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:37 pm
Simon,
I thought we had sent you a replacement set a month or more ago. We certainly changed our supplier of these to ensure future supply was improved.

I will chase up tomorrow and advise...
Hi Julian, yes you did and it is all detailed in the pictures and post above. As regards "to ensure future supply was improved" I would again ask you to look at the update pictures and post I made on May 24th.
If straps of different lengths, lift the dot fasteners back to front and ends that don't fit through the chrome bezels they are supposed to fit through can be considered "improved" then I probably am best off with the Toolstation bungie straps. :wink: :lol:

Your prompt reply is however much appreciated. :yellow:

Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JulianBarratt
Great Britain

#28 Re: Hood tie down straps BD20660 A Comedy of Errors!

Post by JulianBarratt » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:26 pm

Ah, sorry I hadn’t revisited this thread since the time we sent the replacements and only read your last comment.

I will put all the items together this week so I understand the issue myself and report back…
MD at SNG Barratt Group
Enthusiastic owner/driver of a couple of complete E-types as well as a warehouse or two of parts...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic