E-Type 5 Speed Transmission

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Troelsbg

#1 E-Type 5 Speed Transmission

Post by Troelsbg » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:12 am

Hallo

I would like to hear if anybody have good or bad to say about the E-Type 5 Speed Transmission gearbox from The Driven man?

It seems like the gearbox is made from the company Tremec Transmissions..?

If bad wich would you by instead..?

If good wich final drive should you choose..?

I know this topic has been discussed before but that was in 2008 so some new info would be great.

Regards Troels

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ChrisC
Great Britain

Post by ChrisC » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:19 pm

I considered quite a few options before I parted with my cash... my final decision was the 5 speed from Broadsport (developed by Cosworth). I bought mine direct but I believe they are now only asvailable through EType UK
1964 FHC 4.2
Etype restoration blog http://connor.org.uk

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:49 pm

I have a Watjag T5 (JT5 clone) and it has been a lot of trouble, all centred around the speedo drive gear. The worm is held in place by a circlip but that can be forced out leaving the speedo worm and 5th gear to move backwards. Caught mine in time on both occasions before the box destructed and the last time I had the circlip TiG welded in place. Currently your options are:

1. Broadsport - developed for the E-Type by Harry at E Type UK (logo top left) and only available from him. Originally developed by Guy Broad for the XK cars so it has a great pedigree
2. E Type Fabs 5 speed - production on hold I understand
3. Medatronics JT5 - not sure if they still ship to the UK

Suggest you look for the '5 speed' threads in the Upgrade forum - there are several - then make up your own mind. At the moment the best feedback seems to be coming from the Broadsport although the JT5 has been installed in over a thousand E-Types. Just avoid the Watjag or other JT5 clones and stick with one of the three mentioned above.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chuffer
Great Britain

Post by chuffer » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:12 am

Watjag have changed their T5 source since David's box was supplied to him (in fact I seem to recall that it was their new source who eventually fixed it) so might it not be be a little unfair to rule them out? Their new source also supplies CMC.
Ray

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:15 pm

Yes, Elite Racing repaired my box (the second time, Watjag did it the first time :roll: ) via CMC but the design is flawed from the start as the speedo worm is constantly putting pressure on the retaining circlip, hence I insisted they welded it in place. Means the box cannot be economically dismantled in the future but at least it will eventually fail from wear and tear rather than inherent design. Paul at Medatronics, who first developed the T5 conversion, did the job properly which means the problem can never occur with his JT5.

If I ever need to replace my 5 speed it will be with the Broadsport. The ETF and JT5 are not available for various reasons and the other T5 conversions are flawed. Guy Broad has an enviable reputation so anything he does is 100% correct. He did not want to deal with E-Types so he agreed to allow Harry at E Type UK do it. I know Harry spent a lot of time and money re-designing the gear linkage to get it just right for our cars. You end up with a Cosworth designed mainstream gear box tweaked for the E-Type - so reliability, availability and suitability.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

steve3.8
Great Britain

Post by steve3.8 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:21 pm

David,

the problem with the speedo drive failure in the T5 derived unit is not helped by the increased load put on it by the poorly engineered Jaguar angle drive ---this situation can be helped by buying a quality built angle drive like the ones made by Speedogragh Richfield.

I know its anoying as in your case to have to strip down your car just to get to the speedo drive but the main gearbox itself has been of good service,and has probably the best gearchange on the market--- regards Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:50 am

I understand Derek Watson is now giving up on the T5 because of the amount of trouble he has had with it. The T5 is indeed a great box and the ratios match the Jaguar ones very closely. The only people who seem to have had success with the T5 is Medatronics with their JT5 - well engineered and developed but I think Paul C has tired of supplying the units to Europe. You could give him a call (he posts here occasionally) but the last time I enguired there was a 4 - 6 month wait. Dave Rawle was the last person I heard of who had one so it would be worth PM'ing him for his experiences.

Medatronics are now offering a T5 conversion kit - source your own used T5 and fit the kit. May be worth considering.

The alternative of course is to stick with the Jaguar 4 speed and install a 2.88 diff.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JEP41
Great Britain

Post by JEP41 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:42 am

If you decide to go the T5 route, I purchased one of Paul C's (medatronic's) bell housings which eliminates the need for the Spacer. This is a beautifully made housing of excellent quality :D
Kind Regards John

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

Post by 1954Etype » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:44 pm

Heuer wrote:I understand Derek Watson is now giving up on the T5 because of the amount of trouble he has had with it. The T5 is indeed a great box and the ratios match the Jaguar ones very closely. The only people who seem to have had success with the T5 is Medatronics with their JT5 - well engineered and developed but I think Paul C has tired of supplying the units to Europe. You could give him a call (he posts here occasionally) but the last time I enguired there was a 4 - 6 month wait. Dave Rawle was the last person I heard of who had one so it would be worth PM'ing him for his experiences.

Medatronics are now offering a T5 conversion kit - source your own used T5 and fit the kit. May be worth considering.

The alternative of course is to stick with the Jaguar 4 speed and install a 2.88 diff.
I went for the 2.88 diff and will be fitting a later 4.2 gearbox (ratios better suited to a 2.88 ). Have to say that with the CR box (earlier 4.2) it transformed the car.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

5speeds

Post by 5speeds » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:24 pm

Heuer wrote:I understand Derek Watson is now giving up on the T5 because of the amount of trouble he has had with it.
David,

As I mentioned before. you should be careful how you word things. T5 is a factory Borg Warner transmission produced in Fords, Chevys, Cosworths, and many others. Most 5speed conversions are based on used or rebuilt transmissions that are modded to fit a Jag. The T5 BASED CONVERSIONS are built using a variety of custom made parts and cases to achieve a fit. So to say what I quoted you above, can tend to lead people to think that the T5 is a problematic unit, which it is not. The problem as I mentioned before is people building conversion T5's with poorly designed and machined components. The Watson box was a copy of our extension housing originally copied by Glebe and then by Elite. So as much as they look the same, they are totally different internally and this has caused a great deal misrepresentation of our product brand in the UK.

Although you mention that the Etype Fabs box is no longer for sale, their website is still taking orders. I have no interest in selling to the UK at the present time because of how bad my product has been copied and misrepresented by dealers. By this, I mean dealers selling a JT5 when it is not a genuine JT5.

Thanks,
Paul
http://www.5speeds.com
Last edited by 5speeds on Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,

Paul

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

5speeds

Post by 5speeds » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:34 pm

steve3.8 wrote:David,

the problem with the speedo drive failure in the T5 derived unit is not helped by the increased load put on it by the poorly engineered Jaguar angle drive ---this situation can be helped by buying a quality built angle drive like the ones made by Speedogragh Richfield.
Sorry, you just don't understand the issue. The problem is with their design, not the angle drive.

When they copied our extension housing they didn't take into account reversing the pitch of the speedo gears. When you flip the speedo port to the opposite side , the speedo gear pitch has to be reversed. If you use stock gears then you have basically an angle drive running in the wrong rotation and a speedo drive gear trying to push itself over a retaining ring, rather than away from it. Some had a reversing box installed on the speedo to correct the wrong rotation. You also have a cable running in the wrong rotation as well. Running your Speedograph Richfield angle drive in the wrong rotation will cause the same issues.

Paul
http://www.5speeds.com
Thanks,

Paul

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:01 pm

I said the ETF box is 'on hold' - something in the supply chain.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

5speeds

#13 Re: E-Type 5 Speed Transmission

Post by 5speeds » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:35 pm

Troelsbg wrote:Hallo

I would like to hear if anybody have good or bad to say about the E-Type 5 Speed Transmission gearbox from The Driven man?

No the transmission is not made by Tremec. It just uses some parts from a Tremec
Thanks,

Paul

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dave K
Great Britain

#14 Re: E-Type 5 Speed Transmission

Post by Dave K » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:20 pm

Troelsbg wrote:Hallo

If bad wich would you by instead..?

If good wich final drive should you choose..?

I know this topic has been discussed before but that was in 2008 so some new info would be great.

Regards Troels
I have some new info I have the CJ 5 speed box. Custom made box that fits straight into the car with no issues.
I did have to remove about 1/2" of the fibreglass gearbox cover so that I could engage 1st 3rd and 5th. You use the original propshaft and that's it off you go.
I have heard that 1st, 3rd and 5th are notchy not so on my box the change is as sweet as my BMW. The box is quiet and just does what its supposed to do.
In truth it has transformed my car in every way, it seems faster from the off, sounds better weird I know but even my wife who has no interest in cars said this. The funny thing is and I know the ratios are supposed to be near enough the same as the standard Jag box but I find I don't reach for 5th as often as I thought I would only when I start cruising at high speed.
I'm very pleased with it, in 5th touch the accelerator and the nose lifts and its off.
Anyone who would like to try it is welcome. Of course its not cheap which may put a lot of people off.
Anyone who is interested should contact Rob Beere racing who supplies the box in the UK and Europe, I think the lead time is around 2 weeks from the States not many manufacturers can beat that.

Just for the record I really don't care what internals it uses who copied who and whatever it does what its supposed to do and fits with no butchering of the car good enough for me.

Dave

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

Post by 1954Etype » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:29 am

I have now driven a 5speeds box here in the UK and yes, it does what it says on the tin. The owner has also completed long distance driving with no issues (I think he said he had an oil leak but that was cured without removing the box).

I have said this before, I was determined to fit a 5 speed box 2 years ago when I restored my car but was let down - interesting to see there is still a 'supply issue' 2 years down the line. Anyway, I now have a 2.88 diff mated to box supplied by Jaguar in 65, powered by a VSE02 engine. All works well but I am currently in the process of rebuilding a later 4.2 box with a better suited 1st gear.

I, too have done long distance with my car (off to Spa at the end of the month) fitted with the 2.88 and can confirm, it is all you need (lot cheaper too!).

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:04 pm

The 5th gear drops the revs by about 600rpm so with my 2.88 a speed of 130kph equates to about 2,400rpm. Makes for very relaxed cruising and I would not be without it now it is there. Does bugger all for the fuel consumption though! Fuel 'economy' over 3,261 miles through France returned 15.31 mpg. Interestingly fuel consumption at a steady 135kph on the Autoroutes was only 14mpg, yet belting around on minor roads was 16mpg. Probably down to the dire drag coefficient of the E-Type which is around that of a house brick. It has a drag coefficient 0f 0.53 (OTS hood up) when a contemporary Porsche 911 had a CD of 0.35. Modern cars are usually below 0.3.

To be fair the VSE02 engine is a fuel hound so with a standard 4.2 the economy should be a bit better.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AussieEtype
Australia

Post by AussieEtype » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:53 am

Heuer wrote:Probably down to the dire drag coefficient of the E-Type which is around that of a house brick.
I thought it had the drag coefficient of a rhinoceros :)
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS
1976 Series 2 XJ 12 Coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

pmansson
Sweden

#18 Current, Oct 2010, situation with regards to a good 5-speed

Post by pmansson » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:11 pm

There seems to have been lots going on in the last few years.
I like the gears on my Watson T-5, with 0.8:1 on fifth. I have the original US 3.54 final drive. This makes for great acceleration.
Have read about its shortcomings too.

JT-5, Broadsport, Getrag, some box from New Zealand...

What is a good option right now?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:36 pm

Broadsport
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

pmansson
Sweden

#20 Later 4.2 box with better suited 1st gear

Post by pmansson » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:14 am

I wasn?t aware of a later style full synchro box, or do you simply mean that the full synchro box had a better suited 1st gear compared to the Moss box?

As far as i know, all the Jaguar full syncchro 4-speeds from the 60s had the same gearing on resp gears.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic